Cobra's in the snow

Mar 28, 2003
Its very likely I will be driving my 01 cobra in the snow for the first time. I read in the owner's manual that if chains are required, you must use cable chains.
(In the San Bernadino Mtns they require chains when it snows).
My experience in the past with cable chains is they suck, particularly with rear-wheel drive.

So, first, how well will the car do without chains? Is the traction control going to be a major plus?

And second, will I be able to go up steeper hills with the cable chains?

Third, am I crazy for even thinking of using this car in the snow? I guess I could rent an SUV.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, my 97 got stuck at the foot of the driveway in 2 inches of snow- so I'd stay way from anything steep.

P.S. I got it out /up by shoveling 2 tire paths and laying down 5lbs of salt in the 2 paths. What a PITA.

I drove alot of older cars (GTO, Camaros, Firebirds, all 67-70) back and forth over the Cascades for many years while going to school. Recently, I got stuck driving the Cobra in the snow between ID and WA. All I can say is, what an F'N nightmare. Snow is not so bad, but if you get caught in ice, get ready for a white knuckle ride. I'm not afraid to say I'm a damn good driver in the snow, but old ladys were blowing my doors off.

Each side of the IRS grabs for every little crack in the road, and if it's slick, it's just like dragging the rear of the car behind you because it wont track at all.

Dont do it :notnice:

Todd

I had to drive my 01 cobra through the winter last year .. After that I said "NEVER AGAIN".. I now got a beater and the 01 sits in the yard hibernating.

1 inch of snow:

I could totally forget about gettin into my driveway because of a slight incline.. And if ya ever got plowed into a parking lot you might as well leave it till spring.. I went sideways trying to leaving a parking spot more than once.. figured out that I could turn off the traction control and power burn my way out of the snow .

Traction Control:

That shhiiizz was the life saver as well as the devil's advocate..

last year I was in a heavy storm on the highway. I would not of been moving if it weren't for the traction control, but at the same time I was moving along at 30 mph in my lane almost sideways but still going forward.. to this day I still say WTF on that.. it was quite an experience.

As everyone has stated, there is no way you will be able to drive the Cobra with SNOW CHAINS. That part of the manual should be ripped out and discarded.

I can bearly get the car moving on wet grass, let alone an inch of snow. It has spent only one night at the bottom of the driveway cause of some flurries, after that i was all about a beater.

Matt

This is my second winter driving my 97 Cobra in the snow. As stated before, going uphill with snow on the road doesn't really work to well..... Forget chains, just take your time and be cautious. I'm more afraid of all the other drivers out there.

I wouldn't even try it.

Like others have said buy an old beater 4x4. I have family hundreds of miles and two mountains passes away. I rent a 4x4 when I visit them.

I learned how to drive and grew up in Alaska. I owned RWD cars there but never one with 400hp.

Can't even imagine driving my Cobra on slick snowy/icy roads.