Code 41 "Engine Lean" and car not running right, Help me sort it out!

Starscream88

Mar 8, 2003
Park Ridge NJ
Ok Code 41,
Cars lean,

And its having major power problems,
Its hesitating like hell,

I put my foot down and it just dosent run right,
Its not drivetrain, Its a power issue,
Its like the engine wants to go but somethings holding it back,

I ajusted the TPS last week and got it to 0.97 and that sorted it out for a while,
But I dont drive the car everyday and today was the most time ive spent with the car all week,

and its doing it again,

I really dont know what to do, Mods are in my sig,

and im getting annoyed now
:notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

well it could be a problem that you do not have a AFPR... with the stock one it is not adjustable and your computer can only make up for so much ground. with your mods, i would recommend upgrading to 24# injectors and getting an AFPR... this will solve your fuel problem

i cant remember if there is a different code for the lambda sensors. if not, i would check out the values they are giving with a DMM.
if they are a different code(s) - (seems like there would be one for each bank), then i will go put my head back in the sand.

i have no idea if your mods have any effect. i assume the car ran decently with them before.

good luck.

Yes there are 2 codes, one for each bank. 41 and 91 I believe. I got both codes so fuel pump seems the best way to go for me. If you got only one then maybe there's an injector problem on that side or the 02 sensor is dead.

91LX, thanks for the info. sounds like pump. id check the regulator real quick first.

for starscream, i agree with 91 (thats what i was saying in my first post-i was actually responding to his problem, since 91LX seemed to know his :)

i would check the values the o2 is giving. you can run a balance test for the injectors. tells which, if any, arent firing right.

good luck to all. :D

ok its got Brand new 24# Injectors,

I dont have an ajustable FPR yet.

I didnt think I needed one to be honest, Thought it was a bit of a waste of money

The factory sets the Fuel pressure at around 38# at the regulator,
Feeding (now) 24# at max,
Ive got more than enough fuel pressure on that basis,

I didnt think I needed a bigger fuel pump either,

I did however notice that my hose clamp on the mass air was loose :rolleyes: I had it off last week when I installed my new TB and looks like I forgot to do it up :doh:
I quickly ran it and it seemed a lot better,
Also, Re checked the codes,

None came up :)

Wonder if its fixed:shrug: I guess time will tell,
I might go get a Fuel pressure gauge at autozoo, test my pressure then return it, lol

glad it's runnin better now. someone explain how the hose clamp being loose would cause ONE bank to be lean, but not the other. i dont get the lack of symmetry.