Coil-over Advice Needed

Cheapsnake

May 2, 2014
When I bought my 65 coupe the rear end was jacked up 1960's teen hotrod style. It has stock 4 leaf springs, but the rear brackets were fabbed to extend about 2" beyond stock. I just got done redrilling the brackets to bring them into stock dimensions, thinking that would bring the rear end down to a reasonable level.
DSC02077.JPG

It helped, but not a whole lot. 28 1/2" to top of wheel well lip.

DSC02076.JPG

So now I'm looking at the coil-overs. I'm familiar with the type with the threaded collar for height adjustment, but these simply have a clamp collar.
DSC02078.JPG

Is anyone familiar with these and are they adjustable by loosening the clamp and moving it up or down? Or any other suggestions for bringing the rear end down? Thanks.

Tom

• Sponsors (?)

Was it used to tow a small trailer by any chance ? That is usually what the coil overs were for ,that and a sagging rear .I would pull the coils off it it was me for one reason ,the coil overs like air shocks ,put to much stress on the upper shock support and will cause them to crack from flexing .It is usually noticeable from the top as a split in the sheet metal around the shock stud access hole .I have seen air shocks punch through the bracket .

Never used to tow, to my knowledge. The PO likely drag raced the car and probably put the coilovers on to help plant the wheels. After a second look, shortening up the coils would probably reduce the ride height, but make the suspension even stiffer. The suspension is VERY stiff already and removing the coils altogether will probably take care of the harsh ride and high ride height. Back to the shop. Thanks horse.

Pulled the coils off and (sighhhhh), not one bit of change in ride height. One last thing to try...I torqued everything down with the suspension unloaded. I'm going to loosen all fasteners with the suspension compressed and see what that does. If it only gives me a half inch, I'll take it.