coil overheated?

Dothang67

May 9, 2006
Im having problems with my stang. yesterday was the third time it died while i was driving, i suppose it wasnt getting gas, but it was. so my dad thought it was more of an electrical issue, we started it again and we notice the coil was very hot, after a while if died again.
Today i changed the coil and did a test; after 15 or 20 mins the engine started to overheat and some moments later it died. So my question is, can the coil overheat to the point where it stops working? (info: it is placed between the distribuitor and the left valve cover)
If so, i will need to fix the overheating problem before I can resolve this sudden dying issue.

I would really apreciate your opinions

Andrew

• Sponsors (?)

try this break out your ohm meter, (if you have one, if not a 10.00 cheapie from radioshack will do) run the car until it dies, then check the resistance between the wire that runs to the distributor, and the coil lead. you should get around 5000 ohms, if it is extremely high, let it cool down, and check it again. if the resistance drops, youve found the problem...

when it dies, do I just unplug the coil lead and check it? or do i need to disconnet tha battery or put the key in certain position..

if the resistance do drops, what exactly does it mean?

just unplug the coil wire and stick the ohmeter probe into the top of the coil...if you see a higher resistance when the coil is hot, there is a bad winding in the coil. you dont need to have the ignition switch in any certain position, when you unplug the coil wire, you pretty much isolate the circuit.