Coil Overs without Caster Camber Plates

I had a conversation today with a gentleman with a "well known" performance suspension company (whose name I will omit) specializing in Mustangs. We were talking about the negative caster I have on my 86 Mustang and how Caster camber plates will correct that. No doubt he is correct there, however he brought up an interesting topic about using coil overs without C/C plates.

He said that the mounting point of the strut tower will mushroom because the weight of the vehicle has been moved to the strut tower instead of the front subframe as it was designed. I went out and looked at the stock camber plates and strut towers and I don't see how this is possible, which is why I am here. This leads me to three questions.

1. Is there anyone running Coilover front suspension without C/C plates?
2. How long have you been running this set up
3. Are you seeing any problems?​

• Sponsors (?)

They definitely will not. Even the aftermarket aluminum ones can possibly bend if you hit a big enough pot hole. The best ones to use would be the Maximum Motorsport ones. So basically the guy you talked to is correct

coil over

I used to have a GMS front coil over set up on my 93's,we can't get the parts back together until we put on a CC plates,seems to me you have to used one if you don't wants to do some custome work. :) . The first time I hit my wheel hard against a curb,I buckled the CC. I also noticed the seams along the engine bay and the fender seems to be lifting ( 1/8 " gap in some places)after I put on the coil over. Was it because the mounting points of the shock/stress points is different now ?..I put on a Mac strut tower brace and hope it will kept the 2 strut towers from moving.

stang22 said:
I guess my Maximum Motorsports 3-bolt C/C plates are not doing a good job with my C/O's? :scratch:

I believe the 4-bolt design is for 1994 and up.

Tim

lol I got scared thinking I had old models or something, but now that you mention it i think the 4 bolts are only for the 94 up

unibody

if you try and use coil overs with out caster camber plates on a unibody like a mustang, your going to fold the strut towers in. its a small price to pay to have the right allignment, cc plates end up being much less expencive that tires.

Someone was just asking about this a few days ago. I'll go into what he's saying a little more in depth.

In stock form the suspension is split between 2 points of support, the shock tower and where the spring sits. The shock towers were not designed to support all the stress of the front suspension along with the weight of the front of the car, much less do ALL that on the cheap little stamped strips of steel that Ford used for CC plates. Even if you are able to make it work, eventually it will destroy your shock towers and you'll be at risk of one of your coilovers ripping through and then you're in deep doody.

Maximum Motorsports and Griggs are two of the biggest names in suspension these days, and while both of them sell coilover/CC plate kits, they both have a more serious kit that involves a structure that basically eliminates the use of the shock towers completely...because they've found the very same thing. The problem gets even worse if you have a car that sees road racing.