Coil spring compressor help

lamrith

Founding Member
Jun 7, 2000
Tacoma, WA
I need help finding the proper coil spring compressor. I have a SN95 and I remember from my fairmont and LX that the kits at schucks never work on the front suspension. does anyone have a kit or kit model number they can point me to that works?? I will be doing a spring swap in the future and want to have the right tools....

• Sponsors (?)

You don't need a spring compressor to change springs. Well I didn't anyway when I dropped my fox body. Just put a jack under the a-arm and undo the 2 bolts that hold the a-arm in. Lower the jack "real slow" and the spring will come out. Then to install just do the reverse.

charged9250 said:
You don't need a spring compressor to change springs. Well I didn't anyway when I dropped my fox body. Just put a jack under the a-arm and undo the 2 bolts that hold the a-arm in. Lower the jack "real slow" and the spring will come out. Then to install just do the reverse.
exactly... I've had the springs out of my 98 many times and I've never used a compresser, you can take a large pry bar and shove it through the spring and down through the center hole in the controll arm and have someone put pressure on it if your worried about the spring flying out, but if you go slow and take her easy, you wont have a problem ;)

Well now that S/N is working again for me, i was about to say the same thing larry. All i did to do the springs was support the car with stands on the frame. Then losse off the control arms one side at a time place a jack under each one then let it down slowly, pull the spring out and reinstall the nes one. I did this for each corner. Pog has the springs he came by latnight to get them for you. Post some before and after oics after you do the install. peace

john:p

Kool

That is actually the method I ended up usingwith the fairmont the problem I had with it though was that it had no engine!!!! I had to chain the jack to the cross member.

I will defninitely get some pictures.

lamrith said:
Kool

That is actually the method I ended up usingwith the fairmont the problem I had with it though was that it had no engine!!!! I had to chain the jack to the cross member.

I will defninitely get some pictures.
:lol: I had to do the same with my chevelle when I was putting the front suspension together on a bare frame... 5 bags of concrete and me jumping up and down on it I managed to get a few threads on the upper balljoint :owned: