cold air intake on a 1969 Mach 1?

jerry S

Sep 3, 2003
52.22N 5.12E
I have researched the idea of a shaker hood and have concluded that there isn't enough air entering to the shaker to make any difference due to the fact that the front of the car is pushing so much air away and up over the top of the car that there is no performance benefit to be gained. How about a CAI? Do these things performed as advertised?

I saw this and can do the same as my battery is already in the trunk.

You drill a hole in the radiator support.

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

and bolt this piece to the support over the top of the hole

photo1.jpg

and it hooks up like so

photo9.jpg

and looks like this

photo8.jpg

Is this a mod worth doing?

• Sponsors (?)

Paging timeless2, paging timeless2.

D.Hearne would have been able to answer this question in 10 seconds flat but since you banned him, I expect you to step up with your own personal reservoir of technical information that is the equal of his. so is it a worthwhile mod or not?

Paging timeless2, paging timeless2.

D.Hearne would have been able to answer this question in 10 seconds flat but since you banned him, I expect you to step up with your own personal reservoir of technical information that is the equal of his. so is it a worthwhile mod or not?

just take a step back here slick rick, no need to get your personal undies in a bunch. This is the time nor place for a shot, if you've got good information, then post it, otherwise don't bother at all.

on that note...

I can see the reasoning behind it, but like mentioned you won't see any noticable difference untill you hit high speed. I think our magic mark for the FSAE car was bout 70 MPH for our "ram air" induction idea for the intake. Placement of the intake in an area of air thats turbilent and non-laminar was actually better for us than trying to force it in.

I can't tell you if the reasoning behind what I'm about to explain works for intakes or not....but it does for cooling.

the purpose for a shroud/ram in front of everything is actually to slow the air down and create an area of low pressure.....that gives the air mroe time to transfer heat from the radiator and it works more efficiently. I imagine this would also help with an intake but it would also reach a certain point where it would just starve out the motor

just take a step back here slick rick, no need to get your personal undies in a bunch. This is the time nor place for a shot, if you've got good information, then post it, otherwise don't bother at all.

I don't have good information. I am asking for it. D.Hearne was one of the most knowledgable persons about SBFs I ever came across. He knows more about these cars than I could ever hope to learn and his forced departure is to the great detriment of this board. I have to say that I don't ever recall seeing timeless2 posting technical information here in the classical tech forum, a period of time that I note precedes your registration here by 3 years. He should step up with some good technical information to make up the void.

for the remainder of your post, thanks for the tip.

I agree with 10secgoal. You could certainly set something up to provide a good air supply to the motor from outside the engine bay but the ribbed tubing is going to create turbulance in the air flow. What you want is a nice smooth pipe/tube that is as straight as possible into the sealed air cleaner assembly.

Agreed, smooth-walled tubing is a better plan. Also, the plastic/polymer rigid tubing is a better insulator of heat than metallic tubing (chromed or not). The improvement in charge air temperature is still up for grabs, with the air moving fairly quickly through the tubing on its way to the cylinders; but there is probably some nominal amount of heating.

Which, of course would lead some to designing something out of 4" PVC water/sewer pipe or some such. If it ain't redneck, it ain't roddin' :lol:

If you go this route, it would be best to use some flexible rubber/poly tubing of the appropriate diameter at both the "inlet" and the airbox ends of the plumbing, to account for engine shaking/movement.

D.Hearne was one of the most knowledgable persons about SBFs I ever came across. He knows more about these cars than I could ever hope to learn and his forced departure is to the great detriment of this board.

+1!!!!!! Didn't know D.Hearne was banned, certainly explains why its been so quiet here lately, that is a HUGE loss. :(