Cold Air Products

madmustanger

Jun 1, 2015
Madmustanger here: guys my buddy and i sometimes talk crazish on car stuff such as he likes turbos i lean towards superchargers. i play devil's advocate at times and tossed in how bout supercharger,turbo,and nitrous. he came back with not wanting to be a reddish spot on a wall, tree, ect. we were discussing cold air parts and i tossed in if it's 110 outside it's not gona be cold air technically fresh maybe but if cold conditioned air could be introduced? ??? any theories on a bit of fun chatter and all have a safe happy 4th madmustanger in chester,sc

• Sponsors (?)

There are designs that use AC as an inter cooler. I think @madmike was considering something involving this. I wonder if the work of running the compressor can be offset by the extra power of reduced intake temperatures.

I want to do an effiency test on turbo vs. supercharger. I bet the OEM's know what they are doing in this, but this would tell for sure.

Here is what my test would involve. Start with two identical motors on two very close dynometers. 1. Baseline both motors without power adders.

2. Have engine A. power the turbo, and put the compressed air from that motor, run through an inter cooler, power engine B. You can tell how much power it takes on engine A. and how much it adds to B.

3. Get a centrifugal supercharger and run the same type of test with the two motors.

If you want a GMC style supercharger in this test, the engines would be hooked up differently. Have engine A. power the supercharger, but since GMC blowers push air into their own intake directly into the heads, it would have to be mounted on engine B. and run by a LONG belt. I see alignment and durability of that connection being more of a challenge than the pipes and flex connectors of a turbo!

Anyway, subtracting the power losses from the power gains would give a good measurement of efficiency.