Coming to Cali! What to see??

jasonn

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
By Rochester MN
Going to be coming to California in Aug from like the 14-28th on honeymoon. Take a couple of day to get there. I have been there when I was young, she's never been anywhere. Going to see the main sites like alcatraz, golden gate, maybe china town, Lombard street, 17mi. drive, maybe universal Studios, (no disneyland though) . Anyone have any others suggestions?? Drag race museums? Any big events happening then? Other places of interest?? Thanks for the help!!

• Sponsors (?)

that's so cal and no. cal in the same two weeks as the honeymoon? Did you really want to do the amusement park thing? I would stop at Lake Tahoe before san fran. Donner Pass, the lake is beautiful. there's plenty to do there. You missed the Ponderosa. they closed that a few years ago.

Nor Cal

I'm in NorCal right now. You'll be in my neck-of-da-woods when you hit 17-mile drive. Absolutely gorgeous! You can drive up the coast to Big Sur the same day you do 17 mile drive. It's only about 20 miles up the coast from Monterey and has good views.

Oh, bring some sweatshirts b/c the wind blows.....hard....

We went to LA last year and I was jacked up to see the NHRA Museum, so we rented a car and drove out to Pomona, only to find out the place is closed on Tuedays and Wednesdays. Sweet. I did drive back to LA ( Pomona is east of LA) to check out the Peterson Museum, it was worth it and I got to see lots of neat stuff like a 427 Cobra, '68 Shelby, Boss 429, the Pierson Bros Coupe, and Ohio George Mongomery's all-'glass '67 Mustang gasser. For a good laugh make your way over to Hollywood Blvd to see a really trashy, seedy street with more non-engrish (that's Korean for "english") speakers than not. But it's still Hollywood Blvd and you gotta go. Someday I plan to take my Shelby clone to LA for the sole purpose of driving Mulholland Drive, and if you're already on Hollywood Blvd, you may as well make the short trek to Mulholland, right? In the Bay Area, make sure to tour the WWII sub at Fisherman's Wharf, it's the same one they used in the movie, "Down Periscope" starring Kelsey Grammar from "Frasier". There's also a WWII liberty ship right next to it, and since your already going to Alcatraz, you're already right there. As far as the Alcatraz thing, it's great, but I'd skip the Angel Island part of the tour unless you need to spend two hours bored to death, they sell the tickets for either both Alcatraz and Angel Island, or just for Alcatraz. I'd go early in the day and wander all over Alcatraz, it's neat and it's self-guided. You don't need to return on the same boat you came on and they run about every half hour, so you get to stay until you've seen everything provided you didn't wait until the end of the day to go. You also need to drive to the north end of the Golden Gate and walk at least part way back across. That bridge is amazing and if you hit it on a clear day, you can't help but be impressed. Have fun!

Thanks much guys! Yep, planned on donner pass and tahoe on the way out to frisco. then south to l.a. Couple of other people mentioned the peterson museum, Will have to check that out. then go back home through vegas and colorado. Zookeeper, that helps a ton. Should be fun! Again, thanks for the suggestions.

hhead said:
that's funny. cause its actually clean and nice compared to 8-10 years ago!
Heh, that's sad! I do hafta say the hookers waited until three in the afternoon to show up! What more could you hope for?:D Also, if your going to SF, no self respecting Mustang guy could possibly go there without at least visiting some of the parts of the city where "Bullitt" was filmed. Alot of the city looks remarkably like it did in '68 and if you drive the streets then rent the movie later, you'll see how little the downtown areas have changed. Check this link for exact locations, then mark it on a map, since it really wasn't a single route but rather it was shot in sections of the city.http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/10/26/MO305198.DTL

I think there's a drag racing meseum at Pomona. There is also the Nethercutt museum in Slime-ar(Sylmar/San Fernando), about 1/4 mile from where I work actually.

The drive from Norcal to southern will be a great view.

hhead said:
that's funny. cause its actually clean and nice compared to 8-10 years ago!

That's alright, there are plenty of other places to see. North Hollywood comes to mind.....or Sun Valley.