Comp cams help make the 400 hp mark.

ranger04

Jul 28, 2007
Comp cams new series of 3 valve cams is just what the doctor ordered. They use a cam phaser limiter kit to take advantage of the cvt instead of elminating it. They have these cams for bone stock to built engines, n/a or FI. By keeping the cvt, it also allows us to keep our lowend with large mid range and high rpm gains for as much as 80 hp. JDM engineering hit 401 rwhp and 379 rwtq on a 298 3 valve n/a stroker going through 5R55S automatic transmission with these cams. Has anyone installed one of these cams yet? They sound awesome, but nothing like real world testing. I know the cvt is an asset for keeping lowend, so if we have a cam that works with the cvt, thats the way to go. Also the JDM 401 hp car was in a street legal package to boot.

• Sponsors (?)

are these different them the ones they have been selling for the past 2-3 years?

The new series that need the cam phaser are a new design with more aggressive lift. W/O the phaser, the lift and duration is too much and you run the risk of valve to piston contact. The cams the require springs, but not the phaser are the same as what has been on the market already AFAIK.

Yea; I believe thats why we don't get excited about cams for our cars because we've been limited on lift and there for results as well. With the cam phanser, it allows us tt run bigger lift and with the cvt allows us to keep our low to mid range. This could really open the door for results from our cams. Were getting ever so close to that bolt on 400 hp mark n/a. I have no idea what these cams cost and I'm afraid to ask ha ha, but they really sound promising.

Yea; I believe thats why we don't get excited about cams for our cars because we've been limited on lift and there for results as well. With the cam phanser, it allows us tt run bigger lift and with the cvt allows us to keep our low to mid range. This could really open the door for results from our cams. Were getting ever so close to that bolt on 400 hp mark n/a. I have no idea what these cams cost and I'm afraid to ask ha ha, but they really sound promising.

IIRC, the cams are about the same price as the other cams and the phaser is around $100-150, so the installed cost is not much more than what we are used to with the cams that are already out there that need new springs anyways.