Comp. Cams "Mutha Thumpr" #MT273LL Cams?

TBrad

Feb 15, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Comp. Cams "Mutha Thumpr" NSR #MT273LL
For the 2006 Mustang GT 4.6l 3V Motor

I am looking to find out if anyone has made a detailed video of the install procedures for the Comp. Cams "Thumpr" cams.
Or... where to find detailed installation intruction manual for the cams.
Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

I seriously have been thinking of doing the swap myself.
I've done a lot of cam swaps...
Mostly all on small block and big block Chevy V8 push rod motors.
This is the first time I've have a chance to get into the Ford modular OHC motor.

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Do it yourself. You'll find write ups all over the net. I did mine myself with very few tools, no experience with modular motors. It's really easy and satisfying.

do some searching on youtube there was a guy on there who had very little mechanical experience and he installed them himself with no problems and he said they are very easy to install...which stage where u thinking bout getting

I did find an install guide here...

Ford 3v Mustang Cam Install - CPG Nation Forum

Which also includes a great time saving tip on doing the job with a special tool that keeps the timing chain tight and allows you to do the install without removing the timing cover and accessories.

I'll have to call the Snap-On or Mac tool guy to see where I can get it.

But this guide doesn't say anything about installing the Cam Phaser Limiter Kit.

...which stage where u thinking bout getting

I have my mind set on these...

COMP Cams: Mutha Thumpr™, MT273LL<br> Very Rough Idle, Biggest Cam for Stock Head

Mutha Thumpr™, MT273LL
Very Rough Idle, Biggest Cam for Stock Head
DESCRIPTION:

MUTHA' THUMPR™ - Very rough idle, biggest cam for stock heads. Great power above 4900 rpm. Compatible with stock valve springs, benefits from converter & gears, requires cam phaser upgrade & custom tuning.

This way I can stay with my stock springs.
Although I have heard the stock springs will begin to "float out" at or above 6k RPM's.
Not sure if that's true or not...
I guess I'll find out. :D

the timing chain wedge is available from Ford. The valve spring compressor you can probably use a universal one from Snapon or OTC but the Ford one will be much easier.

Overall, this is a little simpler than swapping a cam on a smallblock because you don't have to remove nearly as much stuff so long as you use the Ford tools.

with the stage 3 big mutha thmpr cams u can the factory head setup...the stage 3 is the one im looking at
Comp Cams Thumper THUMPR™ NSR FORD 4.6L/5.4L MODULAR 3V CAMS for your 2005-09 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L 3V
this has all three stages listed check them out

Thanks... I didn't even now Comp. has a stage 3.
Good to know... :D
It still makes me wonder how they can have so much lift and still run the stock springs?
You'd think they'd start to float out on you at high rpm's or become worn out at a very fast rate. :shrug:

I don't know about these cams, but I know with the FRPP Hot Rod cams, the choppy idle actually comes from a longer duration, not lift. The lift was only 1mm taller.

I took a quick look at these. You'll NEED the phase limiters.

Here's a video and good price.
THUMPER Cam set Comp Cams Thumpr Stage 2 Mustang (05-09)

Honestly, they kinda make the car sound like a tractor. I think I heard another video of them and thought the same thing. Of course, that could be the exhaust setup also... I think I like the hot rod cams better.

Honestly, they kinda make the car sound like a tractor. I think I heard another video of them and thought the same thing. Of course, that could be the exhaust setup also... I think I like the hot rod cams better.

Your not the first one to say that about comp cams,

http://forums.stangnet.com/779001-comp-cams-127500-cams-blow-racing-lockouts.html

Those are the stage 2 XFI cams. Dunno, I think its the cams with O/R H-pipes, and perhaps certain axle back combos too.
Dan

the lope is mostly from the valve overlap which is when both intake and exhaust valves are open...these cams are a big no no if your goin to want to run any kind of force induction...good thing im goin strickly N/A...the sound yea it does seem kinda like a tractor but all that depends on heads and exhaust...