COMP Cams

hren59

Sep 24, 2007
San Diego, CA
Howdy,

I've been thinking about the new COMP Cams Stage III or IV cam packages for my 07. I've read the tech article about them on Brenspeeds website and am curious if anyone has installed these on their car and how they like them.

• Sponsors (?)

Me too!

Im thinking along the lines of stage II or III; would just like to hear feedback from someone that has had it done, weather they like it or not... wish they would have gone steeper, not as steep, etc...

Anyone????

Probably going to lose a lot of low end power ( and need to rev quite high to fell the gains) with cams that have that much of a duration and lift. Will need springs too. But it will most likely sound awesome.

What applies to the 2V does not apply to the 3V... I don't have them for my car. What I have seen from the Comp Stage 3 cam for the 3V is that it gains from 2500 - 5000 RPM are marginal but they do gain. From 5000 - 6500 RPM, the gains are rather large, around 26 RWHP. From those that have them, I haven't heard of any complaints and these cams work not to badly with a Procharger.

A guy in the Mustang Club I'm in has the Comp Cams. I can't remember if they are the II or III? He drives his car on the street, so it's not like it's a track only car. He is N/A and traps around 110 in the 1/4 with other bolt ons. I believe he is using 3.73s(manual).

What applies to the 2V does not apply to the 3V... I don't have them for my car. What I have seen from the Comp Stage 3 cam for the 3V is that it gains from 2500 - 5000 RPM are marginal but they do gain. From 5000 - 6500 RPM, the gains are rather large, around 26 RWHP. From those that have them, I haven't heard of any complaints and these cams work not to badly with a Procharger.

doesn't matter how many valves you have, higher stage cams will push the powerband into higher RPM's. But not losing torque down low is impressive.

Probably going to lose a lot of low end power ( and need to rev quite high to fell the gains) with cams that have that much of a duration and lift. Will need springs too. But it will most likely sound awesome.

The articles I've read show little to no loss at low RPMs. I'm just gonna spend another $500 and have some 4.10s thrown in. Problem solved. :D

doesn't matter how many valves you have, higher stage cams will push the powerband into higher RPM's. But not losing torque down low is impressive.

Yes it does matter when one motor has variable cam timing and the other does not. From what I understand, Comp's 3V cams work with the VCT and hence do not lose low end like similar profile 2V cams do. Hence what applies to a 2V does not apply to the 3V...

COMP cams recommends higher rate springs and lower gears for all of the S197 kits above stage 1. With the variable cam timing, low RPM torque and power will not suffer too severely. You will get a mean sounding idle, which is what i'm going for. SOOOOoooo, anyone out there actually have any of these kits installed on their car that can either confirm or deny my educated speculation? If not, i'm still going to get cams eventually and will let everyone know whats up with them.

Yes it does matter when one motor has variable cam timing and the other does not. From what I understand, Comp's 3V cams work with the VCT and hence do not lose low end like similar profile 2V cams do. Hence what applies to a 2V does not apply to the 3V...

so stage III cams don't push the powerband higher? That's all im sayin here...

Here is a link to the guy's cardomain page and a video of the Comp Stage III cams
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2059455]CarDomain[/link
http://media.putfile.com/Comp-Stage-3-cams

That looks familiar!

You WILL lose torque with these cams on a NA car (I lost 9 foot pounds) but gain a chunk of hp (I got 22hp)--if I'd had the bucks to get ported heads as recommended, that would have been about 10 more added to each number. 4.10 gears really help, and I'm almost tempted to go with 4.30s at this point. From the sig, you can see I've done 12.9 at 110mph, which means there is more in there for sure--I recently discovered my shift light was incorrectly set 500rpm lower than it should have been so I'll see what I can get this Sunday. But also note the cams have really changed the power curve and it's been difficult to optimize the tune. Here's another link to complement the two above to the dyno sheet:

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t32/jwgroovin/dynocams.jpg

John

Ah ha! I don't remember you being on here, but hey:nice: I searched BOSS281 to no avail. So I looked you up on NVMC site.

I would love to have the spare money for cam/head work.

Across all the Mustang forums, I'm either "Boss281" (preferred) or "jwgroovin" (old yahoo handle), depending on availability.

Since running the 12.9, I've added my LCAs, adjustable UCA, drag shocks (STIFF!!) and Steeda underdrive pullies. Trust me, there is NO wheel hop at all, and on my street tires the 1st 3 gears spin the tires mercilessly if you get into it. If I can I'm going to Mason Dixon on Sunday to see what difference, if any, the mods have made. That set me back $1100 right there--thankfully all the parts were installed in my driveway and there was no labor charge!

I need to save up over the winter and see if I can swing enough for heads AND the labor, but I'm guessing I'll be short...

John

Thanks for the info JWgroovin. Thats one hot stang you got there. I'm also in the money saving phase and will probably wait until I can afford the cams, head work, intake, tune and gears all at once. Performance and sound wise, are you satisfied with this package? Would you recommend the stage I or II cams for everyday street use or are the stage III's streetable enough?

Thanks for the info JWgroovin. Thats one hot stang you got there. I'm also in the money saving phase and will probably wait until I can afford the cams, head work, intake, tune and gears all at once. Performance and sound wise, are you satisfied with this package? Would you recommend the stage I or II cams for everyday street use or are the stage III's streetable enough?

To be honest, I'm not even sure why COMP recommends Stage Is and IIs for NA cars. The Stage III is very streetable, and in fact, 2nd gear can be a blast (at least with 4.10s) as the kick in the pants about 4200 RPM is pure heaven. The lope is noticable too (link in earlier part of thread) at idle (620rpms), and you won't get that with the "milder" grinds. Once this is coupled with heads, the air flow will be much, much better. Note that a lot of the streetability can be worked out by the guy doing the dyno tune.

That being said, the Stage IIIs REQUIRE new $prings, which means either your labor costs go up or your pucker factor if you want to tackle this yourself. It took an experienced 4.6l tech (works with my son) 8 hours to get all the springs in right. Doing the heads and cams all at once is good thinking and I'm kicking myself for not listening to my mechanic on this one, so you're on the right track.

John

By the way, is that a Telecaster in your Avatar image? I have a Strat Texas Special, Godin Exit 22, and PRS Santana SE (with Seymour Duncan pickups put in). Play a lot of blues when the racing season is over...

I know I know, off topic.

John

Nice, now I deffinately have cam/head work in my future. I tend to do all the wrench spinning and knuckle busting myself, but I think I will take your advice and find an experienced tech for this project. It hurts to have to do that , but these new motors just aren't as straight forward as the old push-rod mills.

PS. Yea, that's a telecaster that I built from scatch. I build and work on guitars on the side.

Thanks again for the imput on the cams.