competing with an LS1

• Sponsors (?)

ADRENLN said:
gt's are not going to hit 300rwhp without cams and every bolt on there is!

Thats what I said with proof ;) Of course the only bolt on I don't have is a lower intake, but max I'd get what 12hp? so that would still leave me in the 280s max. Once again theres no way.

streetstang03 said:
chit, look at your car. you have heads and cams and you're not even past 300rwhp yet. our 2Vs SUCK! :notnice:

Word: part of the problem is the small displacement of the 4.6 compared tot he LS-1 another part of the problem is the tiny bore.. and the biggest part of the problem is the tiny valves.. in fact I think given it's shortcomings it makes a lot of power. Now if ford will only build us a engine with a larger bore and bigger valves we would be in better shape N/A

40oz said:
Don't even play that game. You already know you are starting out in a hole, and the only LS1 or 99+ GT's you'll be able to afford will be worn out and ragged. Nothing to bend over backwards to get into. Might as well make the best of your life, let your buddy dump his money into his car, and enjoy what he has while it lasts.

Your right that i will probably not be able to match the T/A but either way I am getting a new car cause if you missed it the body on my current one is starting to fall apart. Also I think 99+ mustang GTs are cheaper than you think. Blue book on them for one in "good" condition with under 80k miles is only just under 7k. I have some time to think about it, I am going to keep my caprice though this winter.

svttech76 said:
Word: part of the problem is the small displacement of the 4.6 compared tot he LS-1 another part of the problem is the tiny bore.. and the biggest part of the problem is the tiny valves..

well if you're forcing 9psi past those tiny valves i guess it really wouldn't matter much:shrug:

BOOST

Well, if you buy mustang, and if you race dude with LS1 enough, sooner or later, he'll blow rearend, and you'll win..

LS1 is good little engine. No dought. Wish Mustang GT came with something that good.

But what makes car a good car is not engine alone you know?
My GT may be only slightly faster then my T/A, but when you consider car as whole - engine, style, comfort, reliability, performance, I would take Mustang over F-body any day of the week.

My TransAm is fast when everything is working good. But it generally have some sort of common issue with most 4th gen F-bodies, like unexplainable vibration at 75+ mph, cheap interior plastic, leaky T-Top, nasty red illumination, unexplainable rattle, creak, shake, and wierd hump on passenger floor, heavy ass door, flimsy as all hell glove box and armrest door, and steady as empty beer can in the wind center console, window gets sucked out past 75mph, and who knowz where my frontend is when i'm driving?

Like i said. LS1 IS faster. that is fact.
But Mustang, in my opinion, is better car for the money.

Just remenber, as fast as they are, and as good as they say those cars were, they are NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION, and Musyang IS!

mity2 said:
Well, if you buy mustang, and if you race dude with LS1 enough, sooner or later, he'll blow rearend, and you'll win..

LS1 is good little engine. No dought. Wish Mustang GT came with something that good.

But what makes car a good car is not engine alone you know?
My GT may be only slightly faster then my T/A, but when you consider car as whole - engine, style, comfort, reliability, performance, I would take Mustang over F-body any day of the week.

My TransAm is fast when everything is working good. But it generally have some sort of common issue with most 4th gen F-bodies, like unexplainable vibration at 75+ mph, cheap interior plastic, leaky T-Top, nasty red illumination, unexplainable rattle, creak, shake, and wierd hump on passenger floor, heavy ass door, flimsy as all hell glove box and armrest door, and steady as empty beer can in the wind center console, window gets sucked out past 75mph, and who knowz where my frontend is when i'm driving?

Like i said. LS1 IS faster. that is fact.
But Mustang, in my opinion, is better car for the money.

Just remenber, as fast as they are, and as good as they say those cars were, they are NO LONGER IN PRODUCTION, and Musyang IS!

when i raced the with my bolt-on npi 4.6(pi heads,cams,LT's,tune,etc.) i got walked like i put it in reverse, especially above 80.

now fast forward to today. i have an essentially stock 5.4 3v, and the story is very different. i still lose to LS. but they onlt pull away after we reach upper rpm's, and then only slowly. (except vette, he pulls quicker in upper rpm's)

5.3 LS cars lose by no less than 15-30 cars to 155mph.

cubes baby. and i have cams designed for a 4.6. add cams, and the same is true for 5.4 3v or 4v that is true for LS.

sidebar:
BTW hot331 i figured out the issue with tune. i had an intermittent bank1 lean CEL. it came and cleared itself. it was 2 injectors leaking air. at highway speeds it went away. i replaced all of bank 1 injectors with factory EV-6's. boom, no more idle issues, stumbling and changing tune.

billfisher said:
sidebar:
BTW hot331 i figured out the issue with tune. i had an intermittent bank1 lean CEL. it came and cleared itself. it was 2 injectors leaking air. at highway speeds it went away. i replaced all of bank 1 injectors with factory EV-6's. boom, no more idle issues, stumbling and changing tune.

bill, great to hear you sorted out your tuning issues!

well id say take 8k put down on a cobra! the maro/ta's may be faster but sit/drive in one for a while i think they are very uncomfortable feels like your on the floor the interior is of poor quailty.(i know this my friend has a camaro z28 and he bitches about it all the time) i do like the way the ws6 t/a looks on the outside but thats it just my 2 cents..

Alright, alright - so I either had bad info or remembered something wrong (even though my visual memory is very good). I'm still doing the boltons regardless - I love my car whether it puts down 250 or 300 to the rear wheels. I'll find out what I put down when I get it dyno tuned in a month or so...this wasn't a horribly important topic for me.

Somebody posted about that weird lump in the passenger floor - that's for the cat...F-bodies can't have a true dual exhaust, and the cat ends up being on that side. In my 3rd gen F-bodies, it always hung down further...even below the IROC skirt.