Complete Fluid changes?

stangboy35

Mar 6, 2003
SUNNY FLORIDA
I have a 1999 GT Automatic with 44,000 miles.
I have a Pep boy next door to me and they are offering a service package that includes:

- Cooling system flush and fill
- Oil and filter change
- Transmission Fluid flush and filter replacement
- Fuel injector / Throttle body cleaning - Flushing
- Tire Rotation

Does anyone reccomend this? The cost is $240.00 total parts and labor.
ROB

• Sponsors (?)

Well 240 dollars doesnt sound like a bad deal for the all of that. However, what kind of fluids will they be using to put back in your mustang ? If there not synthetic, I wouldnt even have it done. I say that because our cars really need synthetic fluids. BIG TIME. Here is my recommendation.

Cooling fluid- either Prestone or Motorcraft GREEN cooling fluid. Add a bottle of redline watter wetter to help reduce the heat.

Motor oil- Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30

Oil filter- Motorcraft. Its a good filter. I prefer it over anything else.

Tranny fluid- Motorcraft Mercon V or Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF fluid.

Tranny filter- Use the one from motorcraft. I wouldnt trust anything else.

Just my .02 cents. :p

Dark Knight GT said:
Well 240 dollars doesnt sound like a bad deal for the all of that. However, what kind of fluids will they be using to put back in your mustang ? If there not synthetic, I wouldnt even have it done. I say that because our cars really need synthetic fluids. BIG TIME. Here is my recommendation.

Cooling fluid- either Prestone or Motorcraft GREEN cooling fluid. Add a bottle of redline watter wetter to help reduce the heat.

Motor oil- Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30

Oil filter- Motorcraft. Its a good filter. I prefer it over anything else.

Tranny fluid- Motorcraft Mercon V or Mobil 1 fully synthetic ATF fluid.

Tranny filter- Use the one from motorcraft. I wouldnt trust anything else.

Just my .02 cents. :p

Thats all good advice. Don't put any other fluid or filter than what Dark said. While they are at it, and if you need to, might as well have the rear diff fluid changed as well. Use Mobile 1 75w-140 and DON'T FORGET Ford Racing/motorsport Friction modifier.

Feels nice to give the car a good service doesn't it:)
-wade

Where can i get these Mercon fluids? Should i change the tranny filter when i change the fluid, i don't trust all these shops around here and i don't know how to change the tranny filtermyself, any ideas and be nice :)

yomny said:
Where can i get these Mercon fluids? Should i change the tranny filter when i change the fluid, i don't trust all these shops around here and i don't know how to change the tranny filtermyself, any ideas and be nice :)

any autoparts store, gas station or even ford