Completion Compilation Pics of my 89 Mach 1 Notch

I would seriously lose sleep over the thought of selling that car. You did some truly incredible work, and it is so insanely unique and definitively "yours".

If you sell it though, I have some demands. The first one being that you immediately start planning another Fairmont build. Like the car you did before, but with a modern twist. Maybe a turbo in this one. Oooh, or an ecoboost V6. Yesssssssssssss.

• Sponsors (?)

It's in one of the pictures I added. The car would've been OK even if the jackstand would've came off,....it was only sitting three anyway.

They don't like me in SW,....Whole bunch of people who don't know I actually did get hit in the face w/ a 2 x 4.

Lol! I truely enjoyed when you started coming around here. I remember your very first story about ruining your new paint job due to running slicks in the Council Bluffs winter time. It was then that I began wondering if I was gonna get a bad rap since we were both from Iowa. Good luck with the sale, hope it pans out for you. Great build, and dont go wondering too far away, crazy ass.

I'll post up a confirmation of the sale if and when it sells. In the mean time, (just like business as usual) I have bought a new gear set to replace the noisy Motive rear gears w/ a new set from Motorsport. The right front Chinese hub was bad outta the box, (It groaned going around a sweeping left curve, or in low speed parking lot maneuvers) I just changed that out.

(like I said earlier,.....I'll never stop making it better)

I am planning on making the next event in Tupelo MS. on the 25th of this month w/it. Looks to be a 4-5 state draw if all of the invited clubs attend. If I still have the same buyer at that time, he was interested in meeting me there to possibly take delivery of it there.
If not, it comes back w/ me again. As of today, it makes no difference to me,.........if it sells.......Yea! if it don't,..Oh well.

I just got a job. A real Job, 40k to start. Monday will be my first day.

Congrats on the job, Mike! Now dont sell your car, and I take back those "reminiscent" words I posted above. Be careful not to crush your hand in those rear gears!

Setting up a rear end is a mystery. It's the one thing I cannot do. Despite trying to set them up under the scrutiny of a friend that can, I end up making gutteral noises and slamming tools around when I try. I'll have to farm it out to him to swap them out. The brand new Motive gears I installed in February (I find out from the Motive rep) are a cheap set that are intended for off road 4WD applications, where noise is sacrificed in exchange for price. He goes on to say that I'll never get them to stop making noise regardless of the pattern or backlash settings,....that the cut of the gears are not "finished" enough to run on the street.:nonono:

All I know about rear ends is the difference between a 7.5, and an 8.8" set,....I know that there is no way in hell that you can make a 7.5 ring gear fit on an 8.8 diff regardless of how much you heat the gear, or freeze the diff. I know that when you try to take a ring gear, heated to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and place it on a differential chilled to minus 210, cataclysmic "occurances" take place.

But other than that,.....I don't know jack about setting up a set of gears.:shrug:

SSeater; race-a-holic ; Noobz347 ; jrichker ; NIKwoaC ; srtthis ; VibrantRedGT ; Vaz88GT ; droptop 5.0; hoopty5.0 ; 95BlueStallion LarsD ; 90stang5speed ; pottymouth.

You guys were there lending support from the get go. I just wanted to say, thanks to all of you for the input and well wishes.
I just added several pictures that went back from inception, and saw that almost everyone of you were there from the get go.
Again, thanks for the advice, it has been alot more fun sharing each day as I built this thing w/ the lot of you.

You all made the experience so much better, I didn't even mind admitting my stupid mistakes, that I learned these valuable lessons from:

#1. Always wear safety glasses. ( You never know when a cut off wheel is gonna explode and put your eye out kid)
#2 Never back a project car out of the garage under it's own power until it has a way to stop it other than running it into the full body rottisserie at the end of the driveway.
#3. When welding be mindful of changes in the way the air smells. If something smells like it's burning,...It's burning, and most of the time it's you.
#4. Never trust a machine shop to have done everything that you assume was done, i.e., it's always that stupid little oil galley plug that'll end up being a HUGE pain in the ass to replace.
#5 Going hand-in-hand w/ #4, wait to put the pricey synthetic oil in a fresh or newly modified engine until after you've had to clean it up off the floor of your garage. Bottom line, if your gonna dump 4.5 qts of oil out on the floor, go w/ standard crude.
#6 If the price is too good to be true, it's Chinese.
#7. Buddy deal paint jobs are never going to be something you're happy with.
#8. If you put 1968 sheet metal on a non-1968 fox body,...be prepared for the select few that see a Pinto instead of a Bullitt.

This list should be a sticky. I can apply most of them to my build. Had a cut off wheel explode yesterday too :(

Now every time I use a cut off wheel at work, I'm worried I'm going to lose an eye, haha. I make it a point to keep my head away from it!
Believe me, I started that thing down at my side. When it blew up, it was no where near my face. Now, I always look at the blade to check for bends or fractures before starting it. I was using the 1/16 blade for cutting thin steel (w/o a guard of course, just like every other guy, on every other car show).
That thing hit me so hard it felt like I'd been hit by Mike Tyson before he started biting people :rlaugh: