Completley New To Mustangs

ClearTehan

Jul 8, 2015
Alright, so im 20 years old, and im looking to buy my first mustang. I have about 6k to work with. I looking for a 01-04 mustang (i perfer the 03). I have a few questions

What do I look for when buying one
What year is the best
What are those things called that look like shades on your back window
Any useful info for a first time owner

• Sponsors (?)

With $6K you should be able to get a low mileage, darn near mint condition GT. Look for low miles, like less than 80K and I'd say try to get a 2004. . The things on the back windows are called louvers. Post up pics and or links to Mustangs that interest you and we'll all point you in the right direction. Also consider this, with $6K, you could put that down on a 2011 GT. They only go for around $20K right now. If you finance the rest then you'll have like $300 monthly payments. Don't know how much the insurance will be tho. Do your homework and see what works best for you.

With $6K you should be able to get a low mileage, darn near mint condition GT. Look for low miles, like less than 80K and I'd say try to get a 2004. . The things on the back windows are called louvers. Post up pics and or links to Mustangs that interest you and we'll all point you in the right direction. Also consider this, with $6K, you could put that down on a 2011 GT. They only go for around $20K right now. If you finance the rest then you'll have like $300 monthly payments. Don't know how much the insurance will be tho. Do your homework and see what works best for you.[/Q

To get a good condition LOW mile 2011 (less than 50k) your going to spend a few K than 20k. Fair market is about 23K with 45K on the odo and then your have to pay tax, tag , title any any dealer fees on top of that IF you buy from a dealer. Private party would be better with just having to pay taxes and registration fees.

But the OP was not asking about anything but the New Edge Mustangs, so we will concentrate on that topic.

With 6K now days you should be able to find a mint GT with less than average miles. The New Edge (99-04) Mustangs have taken something of a bath over the last couple years (presumably when the 2015 came out) in resale value. Problem is finding a decent car that hasn't had the crap beat out of it. If you have your mind set on one take your time and find the right one. I bought my 00' BONE stock three years ago for around 6500 with under 99K miles and now that I am ready to sell it KBB says it's worth 5K at the top. So 6K should get you a decent car.

Q: What do I look for when buying one?

A: Accident damage! Make sure the core support has not been replaced. Rust, especially over the rear fender wells and core support areas. If it's a convertible, pull back any weather stripping that covers metal and inspect for rust. Inspect the car for over spray indicating a accident. Inspect the Engine for major leaks and rust on the uni-body. Don't rush, use good judgement! BUY A CAR FAX AND AUTOCHECK for the car. Check the title to make sure the car has a clean title. Look under the hood for shady things like wiring or mismatched parts. Best Mustang to buy in my book is one that has NO MODS. That's how I have purchased all 4 of the Mustangs I have owned and although you have to spend some money to get things like exhaust and such it is much more satisfying when you yourself actually buy and do the work. In my book, a stock Mustang is worth more than a modified one depending on what mods it has. Anyone long time 'Stang banger will tell you the same thing.

Q: What year is the best?

A: The 99-04 Mustangs were basically all the same engine and body wise. There were a few small changes starting around 01. Interior wise, Ford switched to the double din dash and I "think" traction control came standard after that. No 100% sure as I own a 00". Someone else may know that detail for sure. Exterior wise, the "spring edition" hood scoops came standard and mid 01' Ford started using the Tremec 3650 5 speed trans in mid 01' to 04" GT's.

Q: What are those things called that look like shades on your back window

A: Louvers, and their installation is a matter of opinion.

Q: Any useful info for a first time owner

A: Scour the message boards here. You should be able to find most any answer to any question you have. Use Google and search for 99-04 Mustang GT and you should be able to find hours of readable information to get you going. Anything above that feel free to post on. These cars are cheap to buy and mod and fun to drive.