Mach 1 Completly stock...

sajoseph

Sep 30, 2005
Florida
Is there anyone on here who has a completly stock, right down to the tires Mach 1 left? There are sooo many with modifications done to them...am I the only one who purchased this car as an investment? I have fun in it, but I also realize in 20 years(if that long...) It will be worth a ton of money. Just curious, not criticizing anyone, just feel alittle "lonely" with my bone stock stang!

• Sponsors (?)

It won't be worth a ton of money if gas costs over $5.00 a gallon. Nothing wrong in keeping it stock though, because Ford did a good job with them right off of the factory floor.

The one mod I would do above all others is rear gears, they give the best performance improvement for the dollar in my opinion and change nothing in the stock appearance of the car.

I know quite afew people with Mach's and none of them have left it 100% stock. They've changed quite afew things. Just enjoy your Mach. Who says you'll have it twenty years from now. You could wreck it tomorrow. I'm more happy with my Mach now with the performance mods and engine appearance mods I've gotten for it than when I first bought it. To me, looking at a bone stock Mach now is boring. Gotta do alittle Nip/Tuck. :D

The guy that rebuilt the rearend wanted to put 4 10 gear in it, I decided against it. At that time the price of gas was so high, I could just imagine riding the highway w/ that gear, winding out and sucking gas!!!

sajoseph said:
The guy that rebuilt the rearend wanted to put 4 10 gear in it, I decided against it. At that time the price of gas was so high, I could just imagine riding the highway w/ that gear, winding out and sucking gas!!!

That's an often quoted myth. I drive to work about 55 miles every day, nearly all freeway driving at around 80 mph with 4.10s and my gas mileage hasn't changed enough to notice. I also have been on two 2,500 road trips with 4.10s installed and guess what, again little or no change in mileage. In fifth gear you have to get to 90 mph to reach 3,000 rpm, far below "winding out" an engine that has a 6,800 rpm redline.

99.9% of the people who say gears will kill your gas mileage in forum posts are repeating what they've "heard" and have no personal experience with them whatsoever. Fortunately I ignored those opinions and it's worked out great.

I got 25mpg driving my Mach from New Mexico to Houston TX driving around 80mph the whole way with 4.10's. Plus 5th gear is so much more usable now. But enjoy what you like. I think the days of cars being worth a ton of money like the 50's and 60's cars are over. But I could be wrong.

I actually hate that idea.

You buy a car as investment to keep bone stock in a storage unit and 20 years later sale it.

To me your wasting the car.

I say buy the car. Enjoy it. Then after a few years ....restore it.

My car has quite a few mods on it, but I've kept every single stock piece that's been replaced by an aftermarket one, right down to the pony fender badges. The only part that would be difficult to put back on the car is the catback, since I elected to cut it off. I kept it, but it would have to be welded back together. Point is, if the time comes to get rid of the car, I can return it to it's stock condition, and no one would be the wiser.