Composite Mono leaf springs

• Sponsors (?)

I've been curious about these for years. The infomertial maagazines, rarely aknowledged their existance. Till once they mentioned Monoleaf fiberglass springs were avaliable through a company that makes fiberglass springs for Corvettes. S' all I Know,still curious

I believe Landrum Springs sells these. I think that is the name of the vendor. There is a vendor in the Summit Catalog that makes these. I think they were pretty pricey the last time I checked.

as i recall, the same people who make fiberglass springs for the vette and camaro also make then for the mustang. the last time i saw firberglass springs for the mustang(sometime in the late 80's) the maker was in north carolina.

I installed a set on my buddies GMC Typhoon a few years back. They are super light compared to the stock springs I took out. I had a hard time believing they the mono leaf was going to hold up . My buddy Jeff assured me that other Typhoon owners had switched with no problems. Some of them were supposedly heavy drag racers and theirs were holding up just fine :shrug: The springs ended up lowering the Typhoon about 2 inches which ended up leveling it out. They made a big difference in handling too. He was pretty amazed on how well it cornered after the swap. He probably had 10-15K miles on them before he sold the truck and had no problems with them. I would consider using them in my next project if the price was right.

I think Calvert Racing sells them too....I think I remember several people getting Cal-Tracs and monoleafs and cutting some wicked 60 fts....

I just don't quite trust 'em for street driving yet though, if I had a leaf sprung racecar I'd definately look into them.

302 coupe said:
I just don't quite trust 'em for street driving yet though, if I had a leaf sprung racecar I'd definately look into them.

Didn't all the Chevy Astro/GMC Safari Vans come with these composite mono leafs? If so, they must be pretty safe for street driving.

I sent a request for quote to Flex-a-Form. George returned a quote for $400 delivered. Considering Mustang Plus sells their sets for ~$200 (depending on style) plus some serious shipping charges, the price of the mono-leaf doesn't seem half bad considering the huge weight savings.

The Calvert Racing mono leafs I have are steel, and are split in the center - actually two halves overlapping at the axle.

Attachments

• caltrac-rearsm.jpg
    caltrac-rearsm.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 306