compression test results. should i be worried??

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
been tinker on my car this weekend and last night it had a bad miss under high RPM. i suspected that it was the fact i am running the stock ignition i'm running on my combo.

i pulled all the plugs to close to gap up to see if that would help etc so i figured i would run a compression test while its easy....

engine was cold.... i cut off fuel, spark and hooked up the compression gauge to each hole and here are my results

cyl 4- 160 psi cyl 8- 170
cyl 3- 178 cyl 7- 180
cyl 2- 172 cyl 6- 175
cyl 1- 172 cyl 5- 175

all look to be good except for cyl 4 making 160, not a bad number just considerably lower than the rest.

i hooked up an air compressor to that cyl to see if could get some bubbling out the radiator if i had a bad head gasket, no bubbles.

the only thing i can think off that it might be.
when i had the engine apart all my lifters were pumped up TIGHT, when i tried to adjust my rockers it would just hold the valves open and would compress the lifter plunger. so i took them to work and make a little tool to compress the lifters with an arbor press so get all the oil out of them so they were free again.

when i did this i made the mistake of leaving one lifter at home and never smashed the oil out of it. i ended up assembling the engine anyways.

engine ran fine, less than a week later i had the engine apart again and i went to adjust rockers again and i notice the same lifter that i never bled out was still pumped up TIGHT, it never compressed after running the engine.

i went ahead and adjusted the rockers and that one lifter pushed the valve open a bit instead of preloading the lifter, i was hoping it would compress after a few heat cycles.

and this lifter is in the same cyl that i got the lower compression readings? but if the valve was still being help open i doubt it would even make that much pressure on during the test.. i put .030 preload on the lifters so if the valve was still being held open it would be .030 open, about 1/32 of and inch.

just looking for ideas... the engine runs smooth and all. should i be too worried about that one cyl being a tad lower than the rest...? i mean i can pull the VCs and see if the lifter still is pumped up to tight...

they say to have them within 10% of each other, highest was 180 and lowest was 160 so thats 12%, not much more....

• Sponsors (?)

well there is a 12% difference b/w the highest and lower numbers.... 160 is lowest and 180 is highest...

it runs good i will just run it and if something happens then its nothing i havent done before haha.

when i had the engine apart all my lifters were pumped up TIGHT, when i tried to adjust my rockers it would just hold the valves open and would compress the lifter plunger. so i took them to work and make a little tool to compress the lifters with an arbor press so get all the oil out of them so they were free again.

Normal for this to happen bud. Big no-no to screw around with lifter plungers IMO.

Compression results look fine though.

Since the engine runs smooth and all, there is no need to worry about anything.

Those are close enough. I've never performed a compression test, but just reading on here, as long as they are close like that, you're fine. I have read where guys were around 100 in a cylinder or two, and that is a little scary.

I don't know, but my 85 GT with a carbed HO only had 110 psi stock and 135 after I increased the compression to 10.13:1 Maybe my gauge was off though, I dunno.

I have seen guys on here and elsewhere saying anywhere from 140 to 170 around your year stang.

There really is not a "normal psi" because there are too many variables, altitude, barometric pressure, the tester itself etc.
the official Ford spec is that the lowest be at least 75% of the highest, and you are well within that

so as others have said, it runs good, no worries

gtss