Computer guys. help...

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ok, let me give you a run down of what im doing. I currently have an 80 GB internal HD in my laptop. I ordered a 200 GB HD for it and I want to make it my new internal. So I also ordered an enclosure for it and I am going to use Norton Ghost to back up my current HD to it while it is in the case, as an external, and then swap them out. So the 200 GB is currently an external and it is not being picked up. It says it was installed but I cant find it anywhere. Its not in the device manager, and its not in disk management. I am thinking that it might be some kind of jumper issue. The 200 GB has 4 prongs on the back that look like they would be used for a jumper. The 80 GB in the comp has no prongs. the HD came with nothing. Just the HD in a static free bag. No paper work, no box, no jumpers, etc.

So whaddya think?

• Sponsors (?)

Its USB. And Ive tried it on two different computers. It doesnt show up on either.
EDIT: It comes on, and I can hear it spinning and the light it flashing, but thats about it.

First, what OS are you running? Chances are, it installed the physical device, but since the drive isn't partitioned yet, it hasn't assigned a drive letter in Windows. If you're running Windows XP, go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, and click on Disk Management under storage. See if you can view the drive under that. You may just need to partition the drive, then it'll show under My Computer, and you should be able to format it.

First, what OS are you running? Chances are, it installed the physical device, but since the drive isn't partitioned yet, it hasn't assigned a drive letter in Windows. If you're running Windows XP, go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management, and click on Disk Management under storage. See if you can view the drive under that. You may just need to partition the drive, then it'll show under My Computer, and you should be able to format it.

Im on XP. And it does not show up there or in the Device Manager. The only place Ive been able to find it is in the "Safely remove Hardware" list.

If you still don't see it in My Computer, go back into the Computer Management thing and see if you can find the device. It should show up in there, but not My Computer if it's not partitioned.

If you still don't see it in My Computer, go back into the Computer Management thing and see if you can find the device. It should show up in there, but not My Computer if it's not partitioned.

Its not there.:shrug: There is the C drive, two partitions for it, and the DVD burner. The two partitions are like 500 MB and 35 MB so I know thats not the drive.

EDIT: Found it.

Man this thing is taking forever to format.

And I wish they would advertise the formatted size so I would know what to REALLY expect.

if you use norton ghost, you don't need to format the drive. ghost writes an image of your old drive onto the new drive.

you'll lose about 7% of the drive because a real KB is 1024B and a HDD spec KB is 1000B.

If you've got an internal diskette drive, you can create a Ghost disk set and do the whole thing in one step (like said above). Connect USB HD enclusure, boot to diskette, and copy the image over disk-to-disk. I'm sure you could initiate this process through the software, but I put my money on the disk sets.

We do this at work all the time in emergency situations, even with seemingly dead hard drives. Can't imagine life without it. There's no better way to backup your personal computer.

Very cool to see others doing Ghost for themselves. Good luck!

if you use norton ghost, you don't need to format the drive. ghost writes an image of your old drive onto the new drive.

you'll lose about 7% of the drive because a real KB is 1024B and a HDD spec KB is 1000B.
It wasnt detected by Ghost, the only way to get it detected was to format it.

How's the partitioning coming?

Im gonna swap them out in a bit and see what happens.

If you've got an internal diskette drive, you can create a Ghost disk set and do the whole thing in one step (like said above). Connect USB HD enclusure, boot to diskette, and copy the image over disk-to-disk. I'm sure you could initiate this process through the software, but I put my money on the disk sets.

We do this at work all the time in emergency situations, even with seemingly dead hard drives. Can't imagine life without it. There's no better way to backup your personal computer.

Very cool to see others doing Ghost for themselves. Good luck!

I think you are sayin that I would just install both HD's? Its a laptop, there is only one HD slot.

Problem.

I swapped them out and got the blue screen as soon as windows started booting up. I swapped them back and planned on just deleting the 200GB and backing it up again. When I plugged it back in, it was only showing up as a 73.1 GB HD with 100% free space. If I go to format it, it will only allow me to format it as a 73.1 GB drive. So how do I need to delete all the stuff on it?

Do you have data on the 200gb drive? I don't think you did. Try using Acronis to reformat the drive

Well I backed up C to it, and then tried swapping them out and it didnt work. So I swapped them back and now it shows up as only 73.1 GB because all of the space that was take by the backup is not even showing up. Ill use Acronis to format and let you know.