Computer question

t_chelle16

Keeper of the closet key
Founding Member
May 8, 2002
Knob Noster, Mo.
My parents and I both have eMachines with Windows XP (mine is a couple steps up from theirs and about a year older). My computer has been absolutely great. In the past, with the used/patched together computers I've gotten, I've averaged needing a complete reinstall every year or so, but I've had this one running (and on nearly 24/7) for about 3 years and all I've had to do was reinstall my web browser once. My parent's computer, on the other hand, has never run quite right since they first got it (of course the fact that my dad is a walking computer virus probably has something to do with that). It's getting to the point where they really need a reinstall.

My plan was to wipe out their hard drive then reinstall using the recovery stuff from my computer (theirs just came with trial versions of all the software, but mine came with full versions). The problem is, I never got around to creating restore disks for my computer. However, I do have a partition labeled "Restore". Can I just copy all of that stuff to CD's and use that on their computer? Would that make their computer basically the same way mine was when I first got it?

-Chelle

• Sponsors (?)

Hmm, so you just want ur full version programs on it? How did you reformat before?
If its programs like word, excel, and stuff no you can't just copy it to a cd and send it over, unless your recovery section of ur hdd has the installer on it.

Just copying over the files won't work unless these are really simple programs. What kind of software are we talking about?

Also, have you tried repairing the install? What are the issues? Run spybot and adaware and you can clean a lot of the internet born nastiness off.

yah spybot and adaware really do help speed up the computer. Also, if you type msconfig in the start, run box, startup tab. and u uncheck everything you don't need running when you start hte computer it starts up faster and cancels some unimportant programs.

When they first got the machine, was a "SetPoint" saved for later System Restores? Usually nobody thinks of that; which is too bad, because you can archive the data files (documents, spreadsheets - probably in your case about 2,000 hi-rez photographs) and do a "Restore" to the day you brought it home!

If that didn't happen, "ouch"; but you'd be in there with the great majority of the world. I did not do it when I yanked the HHD (with Windoze 98SE) out of my desktop and celebrated the new drive with a new full-up XP Pro SP2 disk; and was kicking myself in the butt 6 months later when Norton did NOT catch the Blaster worm. :bang: Reinstalled everything except the Norton, now I live with McAfee; and you better believe I have a system restore disk all ready and waiting should something go south when the new motherboard goes in. My new laptop (Gateway; I'm typing on it right now) has a "Restore" DVD-ROM that I burned when I powered it up for the first time.... it's got Vista; and I'm still not too sure of that OS. Have two friends whose laptops (one Acer :rolleyes: and one HP) have already demonstrated that you can see the "Blue Screen of Death" with Vista. I haven't seen one of those since going to XP!

Gosh, I hope you guys did set some Restore checkpoints. If you did; save the data files, do a disk clean (if you have/can get one of the "old-data-shredder" programs, that's even better) then defrag. Run the data CD's you saved through Norton, McAfee, AVG, whatever; then carefully load them into your Docs file. Should be okay from there. I don't endorse software (except Sun MicroSystems' Star Office (once they get a handle on Vista)); but I'm using McAfee Security Suite right now (free with the MSN Premium); and I like it - especially the "data-shredder" with their disk clean-up application.

I'm thinking about going to Windows Live (gotta learn it so I can teach it to new DSL customers anyway); but I'm still not too sure of the "Big Brother" aspects..... I'm not quite ready to start calling this laptop "HAL" :nono:

How did you reformat before?
If its programs like word, excel, and stuff no you can't just copy it to a cd and send it over, unless your recovery section of ur hdd has the installer on it.

I've never reformated their current computer before. On past computers, I'd just wipe the drive clean then reinstall Windows from a CD (um . . . yea . . . it was a legit/original CD . . . not copied from a friend . . . nope . . .
confused1.gif
)

Just copying over the files won't work unless these are really simple programs. What kind of software are we talking about?
The major one is MS Works (they've been using Corel and it's not compatible with squat), and Nero is another one, and I think there's a couple more that are full on my computer, but only trials on theirs. And actually, Dad really needed Works for something (Corel wouldn't read the file) so all I did was copy the Works directory from my computer to theirs and it is working on their computer now (even though I didn't acutally go through any real install process). And I've been doing the same thing with Paint Shop Pro for my last 3 or 4 reinstalls because I lost the original CD and it's been working okay.

So what I think I might do is the recovery on their computer then just transfer the programs they want from my computer over by just copying the directory.

Also, have you tried repairing the install? What are the issues? Run spybot and adaware and you can clean a lot of the internet born nastiness off.
Dad runs about 3 or 4 virus/spywhare/adware programs every week or so and it's still horribly slow. When Windows first loads up, they have to wait at least 4 - 5 minutes before they can even do anything. Plus dad's been getting error messages (can't remember what all they've been about - any more when he asks why it's doing something goofy, I just tell him it's because he's a computer virus - he's had computers add wrong for him before - he really is jinxed).

When they first got the machine, was a "SetPoint" saved for later System Restores?
Nope. They just set it up & started using it.

Throw it away (actually, recycle it) and get them a used mac. Your lives will be changed forever.
LOL. That's what my brother keeps saying (he uses Linux and HATES Windows), but it took my dad nearly 20 years just to get somewhat competent on Windows. I'd hate to see how long it takes him to get used to a Mac. Plus there's certain programs that my mom's used to so she doesn't want to change.

Anyway, I think I'm just going to try the restore from their computer and then copy any of the programs over. The worst that can happen is they stop working.

-Chelle

I've never reformated their current computer before. On past computers, I'd just wipe the drive clean then reinstall Windows from a CD (um . . . yea . . . it was a legit/original CD . . . not copied from a friend . . . nope . . .)

Thats called a reformat.

Hmm, from my past experiences, when i would copy programs like word and what not, it required some files in the Windows file in the c drive.

Umm I'll send you a pm.

and to get a computer to start up faster, (after its been reformatted and made sure no more viruses or spyware is on it) you should go to msconfig, start up tab, and uncheck all things you don't need for start up, such as quicktime, and stuff, basically all the programs you don't need for the start up.