Computer ???'s

Can the factory computer run the Track Heat H/C/I? I broke down and took the car to a mechanic and he says theres a massive vacuum leak in the lower intake manafold and wants to order a new computer chip to get my car running smooth. The chip alone is $600. Im just about out of money for this car. If i get the vac. leak fixed, and hopeing thats the only problem can the factory computer keep up?

• Sponsors (?)

The factory computer can keep the H/C/I car running... however it will not run at it's best. I do not have any specific knowlege with the cam in the track heat but the computer should be able to keep it going...

Now for that kind of $$ get a dyno tune not a chip... that will best optimize the car...

Also yeah, get that vacuum leak fixed then see where it leaves you...

If you have a vacumm leak FIX IT FIRST!!!!!! A chip alone will not fix the problem.

The only way to get the most out of your combo driveability and power wise is getting a tune but it might run ok without it but it's a small chance and more than likely you'll have idle problems. A tune will also get you a good bit more power out of that combo.

Thanks for the heads up guys. Im gonna get the vacuum leak taken care of and see how she runs then. Id rather not get the chip the mechanic is talking about and get it dyno tuned eventually. I understand it will not run its best but i just want it to run well enough to get me back home, an 8 hour drive, with out it backfireing and loosing power. Im stranded in TN staying with a friend right now.

wow, that sucks, man.

might also wanna check for exhaust leaks--mostly at the headers, collectors, and any other connections you might have (ie, at the h-pipe, etc).

did the mechanic pull the codes already? if not, Advance/Oreilly/Autozone/etc do it for free.

I remember your other thread :D

Do not get discouraged :nono:

The other folks are right on the money :nice:

You gotta get the basic stuff all squared away first :Word:

After all the bugs are worked out from that major upgrade ......
You'll see things in a different light ;)

No ... I'd not do a chip or add anything else until all issues are dealt with :)

Grady

Can the factory computer run the Track Heat H/C/I? I broke down and took the car to a mechanic and he says theres a massive vacuum leak in the lower intake manafold and wants to order a new computer chip to get my car running smooth. The chip alone is $600. Im just about out of money for this car. If i get the vac. leak fixed, and hopeing thats the only problem can the factory computer keep up?

LOL $600.00 for a chip...yeah right, i paid $500.00 for my diablosport chip AND dyno tune from powertrain dynamics in huntington beach CA. the chip was only $300.00

i have a tf hci.:) all work done b previous owner

it ran like dog****,took forever to warm up, idle was terrible,bucking while cruising,hanging idle between gears, could barely spin the tires when dumpin the clutch:(

after reading i thought oh no i need dyno tune and chip:eek:

after searching around here i found i had a vacuum leak

fixed it, solved almost all issues:nice:
maf was filthy, ran even better after cleaning!
fuel pressure was at 48:shrug: put it back to about 40,new plugs,timing in check,

wow,what a difference. will smoke the tires with ease now:nice:

i was about to go on a dyno for a tune+chip $500+:eek:

felt like a new motor for less than 100:)

good advice around here for sure:flag:

i have a tf hci.:) all work done b previous owner

it ran like dog****,took forever to warm up, idle was terrible,bucking while cruising,hanging idle between gears, could barely spin the tires when dumpin the clutch:(

after reading i thought oh no i need dyno tune and chip:eek:

after searching around here i found i had a vacuum leak

fixed it, solved almost all issues:nice:
maf was filthy, ran even better after cleaning!
fuel pressure was at 48:shrug: put it back to about 40,new plugs,timing in check,

wow,what a difference. will smoke the tires with ease now:nice:

i was about to go on a dyno for a tune+chip $500+:eek:

felt like a new motor for less than 100:)

good advice around here for sure:flag:

Very Good Info :Word:

I can't even begin to tell how many peeps we've seen do h/c/i and then
come on here singing the blues of ... It won't run right.

In most of those stories we see they:

Had the valves too loose or tight
Had exhaust leaks
Had vacuum leaks
Had electrical issues
Damaged sensors during the upgrade
and
You can just imagine a bunch of other things as well

But ... it is nothing more than attention to the details ;)

Bottom line with a big project like h/c/i is .......

You gotta get it ALL back like it was when it rolled off the line at Ford

Grady

exhaust leaks :mad: i hate the ticking , sputtering sound ,:bang:

but true ...all header bolts were loose on my car , most valve cover bolts, wires melted, and the other owner drove it that way:notnice:

remember goin to look at it and him tellin me its just cold blooded because of the cam, it needs a cobra chip :rlaugh:

exhaust leaks :mad: i hate the ticking , sputtering sound ,:bang:

but true ...all header bolts were loose on my car , most valve cover bolts, wires melted, and the other owner drove it that way:notnice:

remember goin to look at it and him tellin me its just cold blooded because of the cam, it needs a cobra chip :rlaugh:

I kinda think that guy was one of those peeps that .............

Should N E V E R be allowed to hold a screwdriver or wrench in his hand :rlaugh:

He needs to see that Dirty Harry movie where Clint says ...........

"A man needs to know his limitations" ;)

Grady

my trickflow upper intake as yours,has i believe four vacuum lines under the upper intake

two of them were not plugged

they sounded like a massive vacuum leak

stuck my finger under there and plugged them for a second and there they were.

car woke right up

just a thought before you take your lower off !

also if it is the ones under the intake i was able to plugg them with it on the car.. two little rubber vacuum plugs for about $2 from auto store

I have either vacuum lines going to those holes and the other holes under the upper intake man. has threaded plugs in the. We sprayed some carb cleaner at the seems af the intake manafolds and the car reved so its got to be one of those seems. Probably gonna have to get a small spacer between the upper and lower too, seems the TB might but getting pushed up by the valve cover.

Thanks for the advice thus far, im actually starting to get a little optimistic that the vacuum problem will fix things.

I have either vacuum lines going to those holes and the other holes under the upper intake man. has threaded plugs in the. We sprayed some carb cleaner at the seems af the intake manafolds and the car reved so its got to be one of those seems. Probably gonna have to get a small spacer between the upper and lower too, seems the TB might but getting pushed up by the valve cover.

Thanks for the advice thus far, im actually starting to get a little optimistic that the vacuum problem will fix things.

Seems to me if you got interference with the tb and vc ............

You would be leaking vacuum between the lower and upper intake

Find why you got a bind and fix it or do the spacer thing :)

Grady

If needed, a leak finder between the upper and lower:

Seal off all the vac nipples on the manifold and plenum. Install a vac gauge on one nipple, disable the fuel and ignition and crank the engine. You should see a handful of inches hg while cranking. If you see no vacuum, double check your nipples for leaks (ouch!) and then assume there's a leak between the upper and lower.