Confused about Differential Fluid

bryan0

Jun 9, 2005
Bethel, CT
I spent the last hour searching through old threads about which differential fluid to use. I couldn't find a straight answer to my questions.

I have a 1999 GT, and it has 75k miles. To the best of my knowledge, the fluid has never been changed, definitely not since 62k miles when i bought it. I don't know anything about if I have the traction-lock, do they all come with it? I turn my traction control button off if that means anything.

I went out and bought some non-synthetic valvoline 80w90 and some Trans-X GL-5 "limited slip gear oil additive". Is this an okay combo?

I also got the Permatex Blue RTV gasket maker, should I return it and get black or am i good with the blue?

I know I sound dumb, I've never done a diff. oil change before. :-(

• Sponsors (?)

I spent the last hour searching through old threads about which differential fluid to use. I couldn't find a straight answer to my questions.

I have a 1999 GT, and it has 75k miles. To the best of my knowledge, the fluid has never been changed, definitely not since 62k miles when i bought it. I don't know anything about if I have the traction-lock, do they all come with it? I turn my traction control button off if that means anything.

I went out and bought some non-synthetic valvoline 80w90 and some Trans-X GL-5 "limited slip gear oil additive". Is this an okay combo?

I also got the Permatex Blue RTV gasket maker, should I return it and get black or am i good with the blue?

I know I sound dumb, I've never done a diff. oil change before. :-(

All Mustang GT's have come with Trac-loc differentials since the 1980's.

The best oil to use is a synthetic blend 70w-140. You will need 2 quarts of it. You will also need a bottle of Ford OEM friction modifier. I wish I had that part number for you, sorry.

As far as RTV, you might want to consider a factory differential gasket. RTV is a cheaper way to do the job, and might cause leaks in the future.

The newer rear ends take synthetic fluid. There is even a tag on the diff that says "Synthetic fluid only"

Oh and BTW, the traction control and traction-lok are two unrelated components. They only share the word Traction between them, but nothing else

The newer rear ends take synthetic fluid. There is even a tag on the diff that says "Synthetic fluid only"
I haven't crawled under there yet to see the tag, but a 1999 would be considered "newer" so i need synthetic?

I'm going to stop by the ford dealer tomorrow to get the xl-3 and return my valvoline 80w90 and get mobil 1 75w90. Now am i good?

I appreciate all your help guys :nice:

i'd recomend 3 quarts if you can spare it, it take bout 2 and 1/3. I used Royal Purple Max-Gear synthetic 75W90 which is a perfect mach IMO. If you lived in No. Cal ill give you the rest of this bottle i have sitting here:p

That's alot of fluid. You're only supposed to use between 1.66-1.77-liters, which is 1.75 quarts-1.87 quarts. 2-1/3 quarts is NOT correct.