Confused on what to do

BlacknSilver05

May 22, 2011
Im trying to decide on what to do with my engine whether to keep it n/a of s/c it. If i keep it n/a i think i would be able to get 375 with cams intake tune kooks lt's. Now i could also go the root of just s/c but i dont want to hurt the life of my engine to much so i would run low boost and get an intercooler. im not lookin for a monster its my dd i just want more power i have jlt intake tun and borla stingers already. Any opinions or any make this choice before?

• Sponsors (?)

blower is probably best bang for the buck as long as you keep it under about 420 hp or so the motor should be fine with stock internals.
Personally I think blowers are something everyone does, for mine i'm gonna try to go NA. intake, tune, headers, cams, maybe port the heads. btw, from what I've seen, going NA won't save money compared to a blower.

I dont necessarily have a goal of 375 i was just stating what i think i would put out with those mods. I would like 400+(crank) im looking at the roushcharger now to put me at 435 because of a recommendation. My goal beat or keep up with the new ss's. My worry is traction. Cause i see some people with a good suspension and a s/c that dont get traction maybe its just cause the dont know how to launch.

I know you are familiar with the truism, "There's no substitute for cubic inches."

Well we don't have them and to achieve the horse power levels competing muscle cars produce we need something. You can go either way, but I'm enjoying just shy of 500 rwhp on a motor I boosted when it had just ~2,500 miles on the odometer (my lovely wife was not pleased to discover my "mod" voided my brand new car drive-train warranty, but I never let anyone else work on my car anyway...). I've not had a hint of trouble with it (after proper tuning).

Achieving that kind of horse power with a NA motor is quite a feat. And if you could achieve it I doubt it will drive like a stocker - like mine does when I keep my foot out of it.

But either way you go, I'm sure you'll have fun.

Traction is a challenge - you can't drop the hammer on a twin screw SCed car. And many guys do because they like it.

My torque curve is more like an Arizona plateau - nearly all in at 1,800 and as flat as a table top. But that's one of the reasons it's such a blast to drive.

Specifics are in the signature.

I dont necessarily have a goal of 375 i was just stating what i think i would put out with those mods. I would like 400+(crank) im looking at the roushcharger now to put me at 435 because of a recommendation. My goal beat or keep up with the new ss's. My worry is traction. Cause i see some people with a good suspension and a s/c that dont get traction maybe its just cause the dont know how to launch.

You can't go wrong with the Roush blower. Traction is not a problem with good suspension. At UPR Products, our 2010 GT has a Roush blown 3V with UPR suspension and Hoosier DRs. The car pulls wheelies. Literally. (I just suck as a photographer and couldn't capture it)

2010pbir.jpg

That said, it all depends on what you mean by "beat or keep up with the new ss's". If you were talking about at the drag strip or the stop light drags, I'd say that all you need is a gear, full suspension, and sticky tires. (no boost needed)

Traction is a challenge - you can't drop the hammer on a twin screw SCed car. And many guys do because they like it.

My torque curve is more like an Arizona plateau - nearly all in at 1,800 and as flat as a table top. But that's one of the reasons it's such a blast to drive.

Specifics are in the signature.

Again, our Roush blown 3V GT hooks really well, on full suspension. That's not to say that we couldn't do a huge smokey burnout. I'm just saying that when it needs to hook (at WOT) it does. Just for the sake of discussion, our car has the 5r55, but it would hook with a manual trans using the Driver Mod.

Nice car! I expect I'd get a lot better traction with a set of tires/rims like you guys run on that.

My experience is limited to daily driving a manual with 3.73s turning Nitto NT555s (255 in a 35 aspect ratio). Less than ideal for maximum launch effectiveness. Taking modded four wheel drive cars takes a little finesse.

Nice car! I expect I'd get a lot better traction with a set of tires/rims like you guys run on that.

My experience is limited to daily driving a manual with 3.73s turning Nitto NT555s (255 in a 35 aspect ratio). Less than ideal for maximum launch effectiveness. Taking modded four wheel drive cars takes a little finesse.

Thanks. It definitely takes a serious tire to hook (what is now) over 700rwhp. As with any Mustang at any power level, good tires & suspension are a big help!