Confused, what is best way to wire up in-line fuel pump?

5.0 Fiend

Mar 23, 2004
My 88 cougar motor to 84 stang body is pretty much complete, I just have to figure out how to wire up the fuel pump. Since the 84 motor had a mech. pump, and I got a deal on a Holley Red in-line pump, I decided to put that on, (thought it would be easier). I need a quick crash course on different wiring methods for the fuel pump, i.e., relay's, fuses, wire to a switch or ignition switch? I am pretty much a moron come wiring time, so I need to figure out what to buy.
I figure this is how it could be set up the easiest. Black wire goes to frame ground, and the red wire coming from the fuel pump could go through a 30 amp in-line fuse(too big? too small?), into a switch that I have on my dash panel, that is connected to a hot wire, I figure 14 gauge wire would work? Did i get the just of how to wire up the pump? How does the relay type wiring work? (I tried reading my haynes manual to get an idea on how to wire up a relay, but there were too many wires, why would you need that many just to get a hot wire to the pump?)
That is why I figure having one wire going through an inline fuse to a switched on hot source would be the easiest for me. Sorry if I sound like a wiring idiot, but it is because I am, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

• Sponsors (?)