considering sellling the 95 and getting a 99-04. help me justify

Status
Not open for further replies.
re the insurance ... i have progressive, and they have a way that you can put a value on all that other stuff you are talking about because they realize people do mod their cars.

of course, i didn't do it for mine because i'm such a cheap bastard.

• Sponsors (?)

99-04's make great daily drivers, smooth, comfy

the lack of low end can be made up with gears

I see some peoples points about spend the %k on your current car... but a HCI car is going to take a lot of work to get it all smooth and tuned in properly. also you will not get any of that $ back on resale

bolt on a S/C kit to the 4.6 and you can EASILY hit 400rwhp and it will drive like its 100% stock (untill you hit the go pedal)

re the insurance ... i have progressive, and they have a way that you can put a value on all that other stuff you are talking about because they realize people do mod their cars.

of course, i didn't do it for mine because i'm such a cheap bastard.

i checked into that as well a few months ago. the more questions i asked, the more 'fine print' i found out. the rep told me that if i have more than 10% of my cars book worth in mods that it will void the ability to have that policy :nonono:

99-04's make great daily drivers, smooth, comfy

the lack of low end can be made up with gears

I see some peoples points about spend the %k on your current car... but a HCI car is going to take a lot of work to get it all smooth and tuned in properly. also you will not get any of that $ back on resale

bolt on a S/C kit to the 4.6 and you can EASILY hit 400rwhp and it will drive like its 100% stock (untill you hit the go pedal)

this makes sense to me. doing a HCI properly costs more than meets the eye. lots of little parts ( gaskets, bolts, bushings, etc ) along with tuning and installion costs add so much more to the final price. yea, theres alot of guys on here who do a HCI and drive it around just fine w/o a tune but my luck id be the one that it wouldnt even idle until i got it tuned. and when its all said and done i would have a very nice , very fast, very sweet 95 but would have WAY more money in the car. id have to keep it forever. all that on a stock 115k shortblock, which is probably just fine but still...it aint all new. im just not sure if i can justify spending all that cash

+1 for the SC idea on the 99 04, it just wouldnt be in the budget for a while. but yea, thats always a possibilty.

My God at the bad information in here.... :nonono:

The ONLY thing I agree with is the fact that you can't get your money back out of a car with H/C/I. But when did we start modding our cars to make money on the resale? :rolleyes:

How much power do you want? There is nothing at all wrong with your car and it will be ALOT...wait let me say that again... ALOT cheaper to mod than any 4.6L. Especially the 4v 4.6L which I would hope you would go for. And your ONLY option for making it fast would be mainly boost. You can run them fast with nitrous but most don't.

Tell me your goal performance wise and I can give you step by step the cheapest way to get there given you can turn a wrench.

just for kicks, anyone know what a bone stock 94/95 puts down on the mustang dyno? isnt something like 195 or 200?

whats a 99/04 car put down? 220ish?
and a 96/98 cobra? 260ish?

I like the 5.0s for how easy they are to work on. The cam cars are a bit more involved and require more special tools. Not much of an aftermarket for the 2Vs either. Not compared to the 5 liter anyway. Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to switch? If you want 300HP, itd be cheaper to get a good set of heads then to buy another car.

yea, theres alot of guys on here who do a HCI and drive it around just fine w/o a tune but my luck id be the one that it wouldnt even idle until i got it tuned. and when its all said and done i would have a very nice , very fast, very sweet 95 but would have WAY more money in the car. id have to keep it forever. all that on a stock 115k shortblock, which is probably just fine but still...it aint all new. im just not sure if i can justify spending all that cash

+1 for the SC idea on the 99 04, it just wouldnt be in the budget for a while. but yea, thats always a possibilty.

If you can't justify spending money then sell your car and buy a 4 cylinder and leave it alone. This is a hobby that costs alot of money. We mod our cars to enjoy them and not worry about "justifying the cost". If/when you choose to sell your car pull the parts off and put stock back on and sell the car and parts differently. I always do this and have actually made money this way before.

Would you rather go into a parking lot and having people go :jaw: when they hear your 5.0 camming hard or would you rather have them go :shrug: when you pull in with your 99-04 with a supercharger that goes EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE ? :nono:

I like the 5.0s for how easy they are to work on. The cam cars are a bit more involved and require more special tools. Not much of an aftermarket for the 2Vs either. Not compared to the 5 liter anyway. Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to switch? If you want 300HP, itd be cheaper to get a good set of heads then to buy another car.

well, never really said i wanted 300hp. buying another set of heads leads up to a whole lot more. from everything i have priced, i cant see it being cheaper.

Get a better job :lol:

heh, thats cute.

im looking at the bigger picture here. i had just rather not have a ton of money in a 95 model car if there is no way to be compensated if something happens. also, as mentioned earlier, that would still be on a stock shortblock and t5. i commend those who can do their own mechanics but i cannot. therefore, i have to figure in the extra dollars. driving a $13,000 - $16,000 95 GT around with book value coverage makes me nervous.

i've always really liked the idea of a 4v cobra with an intercooled kenne-bell

do that and you are done

if you can afford it that is

Depends if he has the feel for speed. 400rwhp would get old really fast to me. After that he is looking at a hell of alot of money to pull the motor out and forge that 4v. Somewhere around the $10,000 mark. After that the fuel system will cost a couple more thousand. Then the transmission will have to be upgraded. So on and so on.... And from the sounds of it I don't think he can afford the blower alone. Let alone what else would be needed after that...

im looking at the bigger picture here. i had just rather not have a ton of money in a 95 model car if there is no way to be compensated if something happens. also, as mentioned earlier, that would still be on a stock shortblock and t5. i commend those who can do their own mechanics but i cannot. therefore, i have to figure in the extra dollars. driving a $13,000 - $16,000 95 GT around with book value coverage makes me nervous.

Then sell the damn car and stop wasting our time and yours. Whats the problem here? :shrug: What are you trying to get out of this thread you started?

i've always really liked the idea of a 4v cobra with an intercooled kenne-bell

do that and you are done

if you can afford it that is

i agree. would be a scream machine. but as you mentioned, being able to afford.

heck, id be thrilled with a lower mileage 96/98 4V with just a gear, exhaust, springs and wheels

And from the sounds of it I don't think he can afford the blower alone. Let alone what else would be needed after that...

you're sorta steppin on my toes a bit there bud.

i appreciate all the feedback and comments from everyone and you are welcome to keep posting as i cannot stop ya. but please be a bit more respectful

a complete assembled set of CNC ported PI heads are about the same price as a set of AFR 302 heads

cams are 500-600, but remember theres 2X as many as the 5.0

theres a few aftermarket intakes on the market now but the stock PI intake flows pretty well

to do long tubes you need to drop the k-member to get access

new technology>old

not hating on the 5.0, i think its a great motor but owning both i think the 5.0 makes a better weekend car than daily driver

If I was going to get a 99-04 mustang I would not look at twice at a gt I would go straight for the mach1. They are smooth and strong. I've heard they will go 12's with just a good set of DR's and gears. I've driven all the cars mentioned and I liked the mach much better than any of them even my cobra. The 98 cobra I drove was strong but until I got it to 3,500 rpms it was a dog. The mach was not super strong in the low rpm's but was just as strong as the 01GT my friend had but at 3,500 rpm's and up I bet it could hang with most LS1 cars. I understand that the mach is more expensive than the the gt's but they are worth it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.