Contemplating getting out of the Mustang game

DougNuts

Founding Member
Jul 11, 2000
Georgetown Ky
Let me start off by saying that this idea is only about 30% about money. As I get older, I'm starting to realize the benefits of comfortable transportation. I'm also finding myself becoming more aware of evironmental issues and preservation of natural resources, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let's focus on the comfort issue. After 2.5 years of storage at my parent's house, I finally brought the mustang home to my own garage. It's fun to drive, but it feels heavy, I have to reach for the shifter and the interior feels like it was made by fisher price. Oh, and let's not forget that you can really only carry 2 adults confortably. Finally, the whole way home I had to listen to the exhaust drone and the whine from the transmission and rear end.

Now, I really have no plans to race my car, so my worries are that I'll spend cubic dollars on tubular suspension and aluminum heads for power, handling and weight loss and end up with something that feels like a race car. In short, it will be too unrefined.

Then again, maybe having a mostly stock Mustang with 200K miles on it has me only seeing one side of the coin. Maybe a 100hp bump and better handling/braking actually would make the car more what I want.

Has anyone else here been in the same dellima? I suppose I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, since obviously nobody on here has jumped ship yet........

• Sponsors (?)

Thats why I bought a Caddy.... Have my luxury, and the Mustang gives me my speed also...

Who wants to carry around a bunch of people when your trying to enjoy a sports car, All you get is someone whining about how fast your going or your not stopping soon enough.... I think of it as my therapy room...when I want to carry people around in general liesure, I drive the caddy....works out nice.
If you want to sell the Stang ......How much you want for it?

DougNuts said:
Let me start off by saying that this idea is only about 30% about money. As I get older, I'm starting to realize the benefits of comfortable transportation. I'm also finding myself becoming more aware of evironmental issues and preservation of natural resources, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let's focus on the comfort issue. After 2.5 years of storage at my parent's house, I finally brought the mustang home to my own garage. It's fun to drive, but it feels heavy, I have to reach for the shifter and the interior feels like it was made by fisher price. Oh, and let's not forget that you can really only carry 2 adults confortably. Finally, the whole way home I had to listen to the exhaust drone and the whine from the transmission and rear end.

Now, I really have no plans to race my car, so my worries are that I'll spend cubic dollars on tubular suspension and aluminum heads for power, handling and weight loss and end up with something that feels like a race car. In short, it will be too unrefined.

Then again, maybe having a mostly stock Mustang with 200K miles on it has me only seeing one side of the coin. Maybe a 100hp bump and better handling/braking actually would make the car more what I want.

Has anyone else here been in the same dellima? I suppose I'm probably asking this in the wrong place, since obviously nobody on here has jumped ship yet........
Lets put this into perspective....

I only have 62k miles, I DO have everything done to the motor (outside of a power adder), and the car does ABSOLUTELY nothing for me anymore.

I do have another project Mustang, but it will be a strip-only car....

Joe

Yeah you really need 2 cars, and 2 cars and aa truck if you have a house...

I have a nice car (ford 500) for the wife, a didge dakota 4wd for work/reliability/snow, and the mustang as my fun car. Theses cars are too old to 100% rely on if you can afford to have 2 cars. Now during the march - november timeframe my car sees 85% of the miles between my car and my truck... so it is not that I don't drive the car but the car definitely is more primitive....

Being that our cars are 11-12 years old, for any type of comfortable, reliable ride, you have to own two cars. Don't get me wrong I still love my stang. It doesn't have any tuning problems, the suspension is pretty forgiving on the street, the interior (with the Corbeau seats) is comfortable, and as soon as I get a new rack and solve my steering issue, it will be 100% enjoyable. But there's something about having a car that you KNOW will not cause you any problems, especially if you take it on a long trip. That's why I love my acura. I can take it anywhere and not worry about getting stranded. The suspension is 10x softer, the interior is built so much better with more ceature comforts, and I can turn the stereo up and not have to listen to the engine to make sure it's running right or any other damaging things that could happen.

Maybe it's time to take a trip to the dealership and beat on some new cars, and not buy any of them of course.

Good Luck

I was in that same boat too man. I sold my old coupe bought a newer truck and went like that for a while. I then bought a newer truck cause I needed a truck for work and wanted reliabiliy and now I have the 95 (which is paid off) for either a backup car (my fiances car was broken into so now she's driving it as I type) or i'll just drive it on the weekends, and for long trips we'll normally take her car which is an is300 so it's a nice ride as well and my truck is not bad for trips either....think about it before you sell yours though, my mistake is i sold my old coupe to somebody local so now I have to see it driving around and it just kills me. Sorry for rambling but there are so many options out there as well, just take your time and make the right decision granted if you sell it you could always buy a newer mustang ;)

1Bad89Coupe said:
if you sell it you could always buy a newer mustang ;)

Yep, that keeps reverberating in my head. There are millions of Mustangs out there so I can always pick one up later if I want.

I have decided that I am selling my Mustang. I really hate to do it, but it just doesn't fit my short term goals/plans.

You guys may hate to hear this, but I'm probably going to buy something new that is confortable and turn my '93 Civic into a race car. I have the same modification addiction as I've always had, I'm just going to mess with cheaper cars for a little while.

Well, I'm going to spend a couple weeks cleaning the Mustang, but then you'll see it up for sale.

FORCED2DV8 said:
Sorry to hear that your selling, You'll get another one, You wont miss it until its gone...:D

I can only hope you're wrong. :nice:

The car has actually been in storage for me most part of the last 2.5 years. I'm going to miss the convertible top, but if can go that long without it, I think I could sell it and try other stuff for a while.

It's really hard to explain, but I've had this car for over 8 years and the thought of selling it makes me feel like a load has been lifted off my shoulders. I want to get more into racing and the best way to do that is to get rid of this car and free up all of that money that I had earmarked for this project. I also have a couple other ideas of cars I want to build and now all of a sudden these ideas seem to be within reach.

I really enjoy all of you guys on here, but I'm just burnt out on these cars right now. :( Conversely, I'm already excited about what I can do now, so I know this is a good move for me. :)

Swarzkopf said:
I was with you until you said something about turning your Civic into a race car because it's cheaper...since when is modifying a Civic cheaper than modifying a 5.0?

Because on the Civic, I'm willing to compromise and go "grassroots" just to have fun. The Mustang was going to turn into a show car with race parts, that's the only way I could have done it.

:ban:

I have thought about it many many many times, but after its all said and done we all own a classic in some way, plus its paid for. Then I aint going to get the money that i have put into it. So thats when I decide to just put more money into it. You see everybody that has had one has regreted selling theirs. I am just giving you a little advice. If you do sell then make sure thats what you want.. BTW you can go grassroots with the Mustang

yobi1kanobi said:
:ban:

I have thought about it many many many times, but after its all said and done we all own a classic in some way, plus its paid for. Then I aint going to get the money that i have put into it. So thats when I decide to just put more money into it. You see everybody that has had one has regreted selling theirs. I am just giving you a little advice. If you do sell then make sure thats what you want.. BTW you can go grassroots with the Mustang

Yobi, off topic here. but what kind of wheels do you have??

Mine is a third car. The money really isn't an issue. When I have had a rough day, it feels great to smoke the wheels, I like to drive it to the ocean with the top down..

But yes, I am seeing some of your point. Keeping up with modern engines is my somewhat questioning point. But when I put nitrous on it, I won't have any reason to think about that anymore.

Well guys, it's for sale (link in sig). I hate to see it go, but I want to get rid of it before I spend a ton of money on it.

I only need one project car and quite frankly, the '93 Civic is in better shape. Although, if she doesn't sell by August, I may keep her, we'll see.