contest help

neverdone

Sep 27, 2009
Ok so I have been a chevy guy forever not because I dislike mustangs just because the lsx is such a good starting point. I am from stl and stationed in alaska currently deployed to afganistan and one of my buddies here challenged me to a contest.. He buys a 3rd gen iroc and I get a fox and both take 2k and see who goes faster. Trick is f/i is not allowed.. including nitrous which sucks because I'm a big spray guy. We have to keep stock displacement, but I figure he wouldn't know the difference between a 351 and a 302 anyway so that doesn't matter. What can I do with my 2k budget and have a solid car I can take to this little contest we are having? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first ford project and I have little knowledge of the parts I need to buy. Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Um the first line states that I do like mustangs I just picked the lsx cars because that is a good motor. I want to build a carb'd fox now. I'm truly sorry I didn't realize that it was against the rules to like both...
That being said I was a mustang kid growing up because my dad always had mustangs. I have always wanted a fox body so I'm finally buying one.

sorry i misunderstood, what year range are you looking for, you can carb an areo fox but it will probably be easier to get a carbed one right off the bat, 85 notches are easy to come by and a 351 swap wouldnt be too difficult since the firing order is the same, goodluck

I'm assuming aero is 87-93 I honestly don't know. And I'm not picky it wouldn't be a huge deal either way. After this little contest I plan on doing it over we just have money to play with and my buddy is talking big.. I kinda thought about keeping the 302 just because it likes to rev.. Does the 351 act the same as the 302 in that sense? I can find a 351 block easily out of the hundreds of old ford truck laying around in junkyards in AK. I figure get a 351 and throw heads intake and carb on and go. Any ideas? I really don't care if I lose a motor as long as it works for our little shindig.. I'm gonna do it right later anyway. What are the differences between a 351 and say a 331 or 347? I know the latter are stroker motors but I mean as gains over a 302?

car in general I will try to do some gears every stang I ever drove was night and day with 4.10s. Also maintenance isswues such as the clutch or gaskets are not included in the cost.

Really? Even in a drag race? I admit it's a little older so the suspension may be shot and I don't know jack about mustang suspension aside from what I read in magazines. Another question... do I need to cheat? I may be able to sneak a bottle in but I'd really like to do it n/a... I just REALLY want to win... I'm sure you've had that coworker that couldn't keep his mouth shut and you really just wanted to bury him..

you shouldnt need to cheat and as far as stock for stock ive taken minor bolt on irocs at the track in my truck so you should be able to do it in a fox no problem, big sticky tires out back, skinnies up front, good set of upper and lower control arms, sub frame connectors, soft springs up front, drag springs out back, then do some minor bolts ons to the engine and you should be good to go

OK, so ur telling us that you love LS motors and also are a mustang guy... PERFECT

combine the two and have the ultimate fast car for cheap, with a proper setup you can go really fast on a stock displacement 5.3 or 6.0 motor. Theres a guy on LS1tech.com with a 6.0 in a mustang wiht a cam and a carb that has run 9.90's.

you gotta be more specific on the rules though, are you buying a car and then putting 2k in it or starting from scratch?

Yeah I know it sounds stupid but I was gonna get another car that cost way too much money when I got back and dump the same amount of money into it... I sold my 01 ss before I went to AK so now all I have is a honda pilot and a exploder. (please don't poke fun for having a pilot, I don't get tickets in that car EVER) The rules are 2k mods, as close to stock fox as possible, and mod money excludes maitenance products even if they can be considered a minor performance mod (clutch, gaskets, etc.) We both have experience with motor swaps so I'm not taking hhis car lightly seeing as he plans on finding a roller and building his own 350. accessories do not count in total cost either. I figured I would pull my motor as well. I saw him buying a 750 carb and a performer so... I think he is for real about our little contest.

Yeah I know it sounds stupid but I was gonna get another car that cost way too much money when I got back and dump the same amount of money into it... I sold my 01 ss before I went to AK so now all I have is a honda pilot and a exploder. (please don't poke fun for having a pilot, I don't get tickets in that car EVER) The rules are 2k mods, as close to stock fox as possible, and mod money excludes maitenance products even if they can be considered a minor performance mod (clutch, gaskets, etc.) We both have experience with motor swaps so I'm not taking hhis car lightly seeing as he plans on finding a roller and building his own 350. accessories do not count in total cost either. I figured I would pull my motor as well. I saw him buying a 750 carb and a performer so... I think he is for real about our little contest.

Then buy one with a blown motor and buy a dart 408 long block, you know, cause it had a blown motor and needed a new one. Its just maintenance!

lol ok.. one of the reasons we instilled the budget was because I am getting married.. Luckily she supports my hobbies. I bring her to the shop with me and make her do half the work and she actually enjoys it.. we just aren't rich so I gotta be nice about the budget.