Control arms on a budget?

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by pissedoff92, Dec 5, 2011.

1. ID89GT

ID89GT Active Member

If its a lot cheaper than the others, more than likely its crap
  2. Notchthis

Notchthis New Member

be patient and pick up a quality set second hand in the classifieds, you can find all kinds of deals is you take your time and check frequently
  3. pissedoff92

pissedoff92 Member

Im not in too big of a rush. Ive got all winter to revamp my drivetrain
  4. wythors

wythors Get off my lawn!!! Founding Member

Leap of faith.
  5. Noobz347

Noobz347 Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor Admin Dude

^^^^ This.

Though I understand that a lot of people think they're GETTING A DEAL, you'll not see a lot of feedback from the folks that cost themselves thousands of dollars of damage because they trusted their car to a $160 set of LCAs. Why DO we hear such feedback so seldom? Because they feel like morons when trying to explain (rationalize) their reasons for purchasing this inferior garbage to begin with.

I'm with Wythors... and it's not just because I want to buy exclusively American. It's because I want to SAVE MONEY. I want to save the money it's going to cost me to replace those crappy LCAs and repair the damage as a result, when I dump over 500 ft/lbs of torque to the wheels from a stop light and the chinese knock-offs snap like twigs.
  6. ReefBlueHatch

ReefBlueHatch Active Member

I studied a lot of reviews on LCA's for my street car and MM just seemed to be the best. And seeing how I like to go to the track and do burnouts, I chose the XD design. I saved up for a few months and the $320 was really worth it. It was the best chassis thing I ever did my car, way better than my MM SFC's. Foxes have such weak torque boxes and it's not worth ripping 'em out just because of cheap arms.
  7. NIKwoaC

NIKwoaC 中國製造

There are two things you should never cheap out on, and that's suspension and brakes. If this stuff ever fails on you, you're going into a ditch, or even worse- another car. Buy Pro Comp heads or a Professional Products throttle body, whatever. When that junk breaks you just have a motor that wont run. When suspension parts break, **** hits the fan.

BTW, MM isn't the only company that makes quality suspension parts. I always think it's funny when the conversation turns into MM versus the world.
  8. Cobra912

Cobra912 Active Member

research and ask just like you did
  9. Cobra912

Cobra912 Active Member

agreed Nik, I dodn't have a single MM part on my car, wish I did but they just never fit into the budget. And I have beat the chit of my car and have never had a suspension part break yet.....but then again I stayed with name brand stuff too
  10. srtthis

srtthis the guy doing it does every local racers rear end

everyone see's it for the most part as the highest prices stuff out there... when actually if you start looking into stock suspension stuff its not to badly priced.
    some common stuff most guys dont talk about in double adjustable uppers for example

TRZ motorsports-200.00
    Wolfe- 249.00
    Racecraft-319.00
    Chris Alston chassisworks- 339.00

lowers standard single adjustable
    TRZ-200.00
    WOLFE-235.00
    RACECRAFT-399.99
    CHRIS ALSTON 459.99 plus coil overs
    MM 199.97 (roadrace arms only adjustable length arm they make) plus rear coil overs.

and those are all arms id put on a level above MM and only because i have never personaly seen the abuse the MM stuff will take. on the other hand i have seen the **** racers throw at the stuff i listed and ive never seen a failure.

ive actually never seen any UPR stuff fail which everyone says is junk
  11. aar0s

aar0s Founding Member

Do a search for UPR complaints, then do a search for Maximum Motorsports complaints, that would be a good start. Google and research.
  12. LarsD

LarsD Founding Member

Keep an eye on this page. They cycle the same things through every few weeks. I just picked up a set of XD LCA's for $277 shipped two days ago.
  13. srtthis

srtthis the guy doing it does every local racers rear end

i for one have no issues with UPR stuff... all my suspension is currently UPR... and i know plenty of guys throwing more power to it then i'll ever make and doing big ass wheelies and slamming it back down with no issues...
    Sharad likes this.
  14. Maryland Stang

Maryland Stang Active Member

I haven't had a moment's trouble out of my Steeda aluminum LCAs. Nice arms.
  15. aar0s

aar0s Founding Member

I have the same arms and have had no problems.
  16. Noobz347

Steeda makes nice stuff too. I had heard at one point that there were some problems with some of the bushings that they'd used but that was a while ago and haven't heard that since.
  17. wythors

wythors Get off my lawn!!! Founding Member

18. Noobz347

My biggest concern with knock-off companies that they try and market a product that LOOKS like MM or one of the REPUTABLE companies but their quality in materials and construction is barely a consideration. If they earn themselves a bad rep... they change the company name and move on down the road doing the same crap.
  19. aar0s

aar0s Founding Member

The bushings on mine will squeek every now and then, no big, they hold up well with my heavy ass vert being tossed into turns.
  20. VibrantRedGT

VibrantRedGT "STANGNET'S PENGUIN SMACKER" Super Mod

Love my Steeda upper / lower control arms. However it doesn't mean they are perfect either. Back in the late 90's one lower control arm got by Steeda quality control, the ball end was only tack welded, never was welded all the way around. It snapped during a 1/4 mile run, the body collapsed onto the tire, locked the tire completely up, don't know how I got it slowed down. Had the car towed home, the next day towed to Steeda. They replaced everything on there dime, bought me a new tire, installed two new lower control arms. My entire suspension is Steeda from back in 1997, still going.