Convertable Top Cleaning????

ChrisYellowV6

Dec 25, 2003
Pensacola, FL
I have a Yellow 02 stang with a white top. I have tried EVERYTHING to get this top clean on my car...these stains have been around since when I bought my car (i bought it a year old). I have tried the Ford "3 in 1 cleaner" made for the tops, with a nylon scrub brush, it works ok but not great. I have tried a few other convertable top cleaners, but none do a very good job, and this looks pretty bad, I think. I know a guy who has a tan top 99, and he had a water leak which caused mildew from the interor....needed a new top! Any ideas on what to try and clean this with?!?!?!?!???? Since I don't have a leak, would this be a manufacturer defect or just a Florida thing with high humidity?

• Sponsors (?)

since it's a white top, I would experiment a little bit. I've used some crown cleaner stuff on mine and it worked wonders, but I think it's only sold in KY and TN. The meguir's brand isn't that bad, but still isn't the greatest.......the only way to get it to true factory original is to maintain it constantly...which isn't always feasible

on my last convertible, I rubbed the top with powdered laundry detergent for a while, and kept it wet, to make a runny paste. I'm sure it was pry not the best thing for paint, but after it was all rinsed off and cleaned, the car looked good, with no problems onthe paint side.

I am not sure, but the best place to ask these kinds of questions is on the professional auto detailer forums on the web.

They can generally give the advice you want for fixing these things or tell you if it is impossible.