Convertable top question.

Well, newbie to the fox body Mustang scene with the acquisition of my '93 4-cyl Convertable LX.

My stupid question is: I busted out the rear window putting down the top, and so far the only place I've found to replace it, is an upholstery/top shop that's going to ding me $565.00 to order the window piece, and stitch it in. Are there any other solutions, or is this one of the prices I have to pay to having a convertable?

• Sponsors (?)

Little Red Zuk said:
Well, newbie to the fox body Mustang scene with the acquisition of my '93 4-cyl Convertable LX.

My stupid question is: I busted out the rear window putting down the top, and so far the only place I've found to replace it, is an upholstery/top shop that's going to ding me $565.00 to order the window piece, and stitch it in. Are there any other solutions, or is this one of the prices I have to pay to having a convertable?

That price sounds pretty ridiculous, I've seen relatively cheap window pieces on eBay. Sounds like a lot of it is labor, did they quote you a price on replacing the entire top for comparison? I think your only other alternative is duct tape.
:(

Top replacement

I have an 87 convt project car. The old top was shot and so after hearing all of the insane prices for labor, I decided to replace it myself.

Bought the top and plastic window on eBay for $130, new condition.

I spent 6 hours SLOWLY removing the old top. I photographed everything I did, so I could have some idea on how to replace it.

I spent 2 days in the hot Florida sun, installed and removed the top 4 times before I finally got it right. It is tight as a drum, looks and works great. I've never done anything like this before, but taking a lot of time paid off.

It can be done, just be really careful and work slow.

Dave

daveesl said:
I have an 87 convt project car. The old top was shot and so after hearing all of the insane prices for labor, I decided to replace it myself.

Bought the top and plastic window on eBay for $130, new condition.

I spent 6 hours SLOWLY removing the old top. I photographed everything I did, so I could have some idea on how to replace it.

I spent 2 days in the hot Florida sun, installed and removed the top 4 times before I finally got it right. It is tight as a drum, looks and works great. I've never done anything like this before, but taking a lot of time paid off.

It can be done, just be really careful and work slow.

Dave

I vote for Dave's advice. Its the True DIY way! right on! :D