Convertible Rear window motor repair

WhoaPony

Mar 19, 2002
Raeford, NC
Ok, I hope this is useful for someone out there. I just repaired both of my fried rear motors in my 87 Vert and took some pics while doing it. Here you go.

Tools and parts needed
1. 8mm socket
2. phillips screw driver
3. small flat tip for getting gear out and broken parts
4. Part number 74410 from autozone in the help section

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1872-dsc00337.jpg

You should have something like this sitting in front of you, as you can see mine is pretty dirty, if yours is cleaner then your off to a better start.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1873-dsc00338.jpg

Remove the 3 bolts using your 8mm socket and lift off the mounting bracket. Next use your phillips screwdriver and remove the screw that is holding the cover plate on. Once you have those removed, pull up on the edges of the cover plate with your fingers and set it aside.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1874-dsc00341.jpg

Now pull up on the metal gear, it should slide right off, set this to the side for now.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1875-dsc00343.jpg

You should have the case in front of you now and see whats left of the bushings, if they are like mine in the pic, well now you know why your motor wasn't working. As you can see there is nothing left, all ground up in pieces. Scrape out what you can with a small screw driver.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1876-dsc00344.jpg

Next pull out the gear assembly with your small screw driver, I just slid it into one of the small holes along the top and with a slight twist for grip, lifted up. It came right out.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1877-dsc00347.jpg

Now clean everything up, I used carb cleaner on all the metal parts and some strong soap on the plastic gear.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1878-dsc00349.jpg

The next three photos show how I got the bushings in. I put one in first, then dropped in the metal gear assembly and slide the other two bushings in at an angle. Once they were in I just pressed them down, that was it.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1879-dsc00351.jpg

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1880-dsc00352.jpg

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1881-dsc00353.jpg

Your almost done! Pack the housing full of grease and coat the gear assembly with grease and slide it back in.

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1883-dsc00356.jpg

Place the cover back on and then bolt the mounting bracket back on. Once you tighten everything back up some grease will squeeze out the sides, just clean it up with some shop rags and your all done! Go enjoy those windows again!!

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1885-dsc00358.jpg

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1886-dsc00359.jpg

whoapony-albums-power-window-picture1887-dsc00360.jpg

I hope this helps some of you guys out, also those bushings will work on the front window motors as well!

• Sponsors (?)

Cool, I've been meaning to do this on my hatch, but I didnt know exactly what to expect. My windows still work but they like to fall off track sometimes, I'm planning on doing an ''inner door resto'' anyway, so I'll put the bushings on the list.

Why does the package say "3 peices", but there are four bushings in it. :scratch:

i did this a few years back on my vert. had a hell of a time getting the pins to go back in the housing. great write up with pics, to bad that there isnt someplace to sticky this, about 3 or 4 times a year someone asks about doing this...