Convertible Subwoofer Location

Discussion in 'Classic Mustang Specific Tech' started by diablopony, Jun 21, 2013.

1. I'm looking for some options to increase the bass in my 68 convertible. My current set up is a RetroSound RC900C radio, 4-channel 50/w RMS amp and Pioneer 6.5 kick panel speakers. Highs and mids sound OK, but zero bass. My thought was to build a hump hugger subwoofer box that would fit behind the console hump hugger and put 1 6.5 sub there. Anyone else have something similar to this and how does it sound? Any other options for a convertible?
  2. A 6.5" sub probably wont add enough, i would try to use a 8" if possible with about 200 watts going to it. You might also think about a self powered sub (built in amp enclosure)

Ive done many subs behind the rear seat and they sound great
  3. Iskwezm, thanks for the advise. I really like the idea of a self-powered sub and putting it behind the back seat. I took a look back there and there is not a whole lot of room. If I put it between the seatback bars, there is 11WX14HX4D. I looked through Amazon and didn't find anything with that small dimensions. Any advice on units you've used? Also, I still have the stock alternator. Do I need to upgrade that as well? This is great input. Thanks again.
  4. A stock alternator is usally about 65 amps. its not alot, but your not adding a full system either,so it should be fine. Im a little critical on audio, so i would probably trust the Sound Ordnance model.Theres others out there, but this gives you a idea.The measuremants are 9-1/8"W x 3-1/8"H x 13-5/8"D.Theres even a bass knob you can put up front to turn the bass up or down.