Convertible top replacement?

• Sponsors (?)

No, you don't have to replace the back glass piece. But, if you dont, and it's a white top then then colors WILL be off. I've never used the plastic rear window, but I wouldn't. I see you live in Georgia. Unless you have a garage, that southern sun will fade out that plastic window faster than you can do a burnout... lol. But if the window is good, then you don't need to mess with that.

Well, you could do it the way I did. I thought the glass piece looked great too. So I replaced just the top......and the way my luck usually goes 6 months later the fabric started to tear at the bottom of the window. Not too many people have my kind of luck so I'd try it. One thing though if it's any color other than black it may not match the new top. Mike

I was told if the lamination to the glass is still good then you can reuse it.

I got a new black 87 top installed that came with a plastic window std. 5 years ago. I reused the glass window and sold the zipout plastic one I never needed to use for $50+shipping on this board. Note that a white cloth rear can be dyed darker colors if needed.

I just replaced the Original black top on our 86GT in January. I had to replace the pads, cables, front gasket, vinyl well liner, zipout glass window (was only $75 more than plastic which won't last in FL) I went with vinyl instead of fabric. It cost me $850 installed out the door. I probably could have reused the rear glass as the color matched but it was 25 years old so didn't. Fortunately the frame and window gaskets otherwise were still good. That can get expensive.

**I had to let it sit in the sun (per instructions) for a week to stretch it the rest of the way or it would never close properly otherwise. The installer used steam to stretch it to get it closed the first time. So mine looks/fits awesome. Beware of the sewn in plastic window which a number of cheaper tops sell. If nothing else the zipper is nice for air flow on certain days that threaten rain or the sun is brutal.

***I restapled the Original crappy top along the back seam under the cord and pulled it tight. I used iron on black patches (with cloth backing under the top for heat protection) and fish line sewing to temporarily repair the torn corners. Used black rubber cement to maintain leak free top for 6 months until I could afford a new top. It even still went up and down okay.