Convertible Waterproof Covers

Will2001GT

Nov 27, 2011
I see so many brands and so many fabrics recommended. Also in many threads, covers specific for convertibles due to rain leaks aren't addressed as much.

I'm considering this - CoverCraft Deluxe Custom-Fit Mustang Car Cover (99-04) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

It seems to have great reviews but on rain it says 8 out of 10 on the scale.

I end up with about a gallon of water somehow under my back seats after a rainstorm so I need something that will stop all rain.

Also I don't want a cover that will scratch. So would that cover suffice? The price and free shipping sure is appealing with all those reviews. I read about Steeda and a California cover company, but those were $225-$350 it seemed. I also saw something about how "Noah" fabric is good.

If $161 will keep the gallon of rain out, save the top from sun damage, fit the car decently enough, and not scratch the car; then I am happy and why would anyone pay $100 more unless they are paying for a decorative one or one with "space age" special fabric. I just want it to get the job done, I don't care what it looks like.

So it's from American Muscle and it has pretty much all good reviews. I just want to make sure because I would rather spend $250 once than waste $161 on a cover that isn't going to work for my car's needs.

Any convertible guys have any input? It's a 2001 GT with the stock spoiler. The CoverCraft seems to fit the side mirrors and has an antenna hole for it too which is nice. The main thing is keeping the rain out because my car is outside 100% of the time and this water is about to ruin my amp and it's causing a horrible moldy smell. It's in a friends garage right now until I can get one ordered.

Is it worth spending any extra to upgrade the fabric mainly to block water and secondly to block the sun?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The water is coming in from 2 places. In the bottom corners of the rear window and right behind the quarter windows.

There are two solutions to your problem, and you probably have to do both if you want to fix your leaking issue.

1. Replace top & rear glass. Have new top installed by a professional with a warranty.

2. Buy new side tension cables. They have a spring on one end and a hook to hook onto a hole in the fabric to pull the top tight against the window and car, making the water go where it should; to the drains.

Buying a cover to protect the leaking is just a band aid, in my opinion.

Thanks man, I'm glad to know where the leaks are now. I was hoping to keep the top for a few years since it still looks good but a top probably wouldn't be much more than a cover in the first place. But still I would like a cover to keep the sun from fading the top (if that even happens) and also this stray cat that walks all over the car. I keep catching it laying on the top. I hate to take the cat to the vet to get put to sleep (if I can even catch it), but I have to do something about it. The top right now is covered in muddy cat prints.

I might just do what you suggested and get a cover. I might wait on fixing the leak for a month or two though to save up some money as I'm already having to replace the hydraulic system for the top now that my top is stuck down. I'm hoping the motor is still fine though, it's still making noise but the cylinder leaked out all the fluid it looks like so hopefully I only need to replace the 2 cylinders.

The owner before me obviously had the same leaking problem. When I took the back seats out the driver's side amp was covered with a plastic bag (which I'm not sure is a great fix considering that amp probably get's hot if left on a while!).

Thanks again, I had no idea where the leaks were coming from.