Converting a V6 into a V8?

XJay

Sep 7, 2004
I've a '99 6-cyl..........I wanted a 99-up GT, but couldn't afford one at the time. I intend to build it up into a supercharged 4.6 or 5.0, but don't know where I'll be spending more money, converting the V6 I have ( my baby ) into the V8 I want, or to trade her in ( which would honestly pain me ) for a GT and even then, I'd be swapping out a good bit of the suspension, brakes, wiring, etc.......any suggestions, comments, advice, or sources of knowledge for undertaking such a conversion?

• Sponsors (?)

XJay said:
I've a '99 6-cyl..........I wanted a 99-up GT, but couldn't afford one at the time. I intend to build it up into a supercharged 4.6 or 5.0, but don't know where I'll be spending more money, converting the V6 I have ( my baby ) into the V8 I want, or to trade her in ( which would honestly pain me ) for a GT and even then, I'd be swapping out a good bit of the suspension, brakes, wiring, etc.......any suggestions, comments, advice, or sources of knowledge for undertaking such a conversion?

I would trade up for the GT or a 99/01 Cobra and save myself the hassle. I dont imagine the cost will be much different.
:shrug:

XJay said:
I happen to like green. Thanks for the completely irrelevant reply. Now please stay on topic.
It's nice that you like green, but can't you stick with color NORMAL. :)

As far as your swap, MM&FF had two short articles on a V6 that got a Cobra engine put in it. I believe they were in the April and May issues of this year.

70stangcoupe said:
Cheapest, most headache free way would obviously be to trade the V6 for a V8 car.

Even if I trade it for a V8, and then still upgrade the suspension and brakes? As for the wiring harness, I figured I'd be changing it out if I manage to put a 5.0 in regardless of if it's a 6 or 8.....

don't do it! I did it a couple years ago, biggest headache ever. there are a ton of things you don't even think you have to swap that once you get in, you do....things like the master cylinder, exhaust (cats don't bolt right up to a v8...wider than a v6), radiator, fan, tons of wiring and computers. you eventually have to switch the clutch, should do the rear axle, among other things.

seriously, trade your 6 in and get an 8...drop me an email if you have any other questions, i will gladly answer them for you....check my webpage too...tons of pics on there..

98stangv8 said:
I did it a couple years ago, biggest headache ever.

How much more did it end up costing you?

The idea is, even if I got a GT, I still intend to swap out/upgrade the brakes and suspension, switch the tranny for a Tremec, and re-tune the computer for the blower I'm thinking of.....so either way, I'm gonna be swapping out something more than just the engine. I just don't want to pay this one off, then trade it in and pay off another one, THEN make my modifications....the way it's looking, I'd be spending at least another $4000 on the trade-in alone.....

XJay said:

The idea is, even if I got a GT, I still intend to swap out/upgrade the brakes and suspension, switch the tranny for a Tremec, and re-tune the computer for the blower I'm thinking of.....so either way, I'm gonna be swapping out something more than just the engine. I just don't want to pay this one off, then trade it in and pay off another one, THEN make my modifications....the way it's looking, I'd be spending at least another $4000 on the trade-in alone.....
Just get a new Cobra

XJay said:

well, if you are going to do it yourself, it will be cheaper to swap it...but I honestly don't know if anyone (unless you work for ford) that can do this project on their own. i had to replace the computers, not just reprogram them. If you pay someone else to do it...they may or may not take on the job. the people that did it for me said they would never do it again...and labor is going to be expensive...count on around 1500 or more in labor alone. figure the engine is around 1k...clutch 200, radiator and fan 300...rear axle with gears 1k...exhaust 500 or more. master cylinder, fuel pump, etc etc...starts to really add up quick. in addition, most ford places won't even look at my car, since "there is too much work on here" for them to look at it. it is cool to have done, but if I had the choice, I wouldn't do it again...if you have any other questions, feel free to drop me an email: [email protected].

i agree with 98stangv8...sorta. while yes it will be a big fat pain in the ass, and expensive as hell, if you do it yourself it could be fun you know whats going into it you know exactly how it all goes together especially since while the motor is out you have the chance to do all sorts of stuff to your car to make it look and sound better (like 98stangv8 did to his car). but if you arent going to do it yourself, just trade it in.