CONVERTING M/A BACK TO S/D

STREETRACEMY50

Founding Member
May 30, 2000
columbia s.c.
You guys are gonna think im a little crazy but after owning 7 fox bodies im a big fan of S/D, of all the cars i had the S/D cars were by far the fastest with mild mods(no comparison) however as you know 88 was the last year for it (87 in cali) so finding a clean S/D car isnt too easy.

One of my former cars was an 88 SSP notch which ran a best of 13.10 with bolt ons and stock 3.27 gears on bald street tires on pony rims (2.2 60') i know with some gears and et streets it would have gone into the 12's easily.

I believe the S/D was given up on too easily and recently ive experimented with some imports and it seems in the import world most people are wanting to use a map sensor and get away from M/A setups.

Again call me crazy but i would like to see exaclty what i can get out of a S/D mustang and ive considered getting maybe a newer fox (92-93) or an SN95 and backwards converting it to S/D

Has anyone done this successfully???
If you dont understand what im talking about then go drive an 88 5-speed and then a 90' 5-speed both stock and you will notice, better yet race them against each other, my old stock S/D cars would OWN mildly modded M/A cars.
Anyone else know what im talking about????

• Sponsors (?)

Me and a buddy of mine have SD car's and both for some reason seem to be a little faster that a MAF car. I have my notch setup for MAF right now but i have been thinking about changing it back to SD to see how it runs with the cam in it.

my friend converted his 88 to mass air, afterwards it felt like we were dragging a boat anchor around and it was slower at the track, he took it out and dealt with the idle issues from his cam, the car was over a second faster at the track after he converted back to S/D. if keeping the stock heads i see no reason to change cams, mine always pulled hard all the way to 6500 rpm.

It is well known that stock vs. stock 87-88 S/D were proven faster than 89+M/A .

Yeah the only reason I changed to MAF was for the idle. But I'am going to change back and do away with the IAC and just run the idle screw in to fix the idle. I only had the idle probablem with the A/C on but my notch don't have A/C so it should be fine.

You guys are gonna think im a little crazy but after owning 7 fox bodies im a big fan of S/D, of all the cars i had the S/D cars were by far the fastest with mild mods(no comparison) however as you know 88 was the last year for it (87 in cali) so finding a clean S/D car isnt too easy.

One of my former cars was an 88 SSP notch which ran a best of 13.10 with bolt ons and stock 3.27 gears on bald street tires on pony rims (2.2 60') i know with some gears and et streets it would have gone into the 12's easily.

I believe the S/D was given up on too easily and recently ive experimented with some imports and it seems in the import world most people are wanting to use a map sensor and get away from M/A setups.

Again call me crazy but i would like to see exaclty what i can get out of a S/D mustang and ive considered getting maybe a newer fox (92-93) or an SN95 and backwards converting it to S/D

Has anyone done this successfully???
If you dont understand what im talking about then go drive an 88 5-speed and then a 90' 5-speed both stock and you will notice, better yet race them against each other, my old stock S/D cars would OWN mildly modded M/A cars.
Anyone else know what im talking about????

You need to look up bluegrass over at 50tech

http://www.50tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=51366

I have had both SD and MAF mustangs. They both have run well but one I totally rebuilt and kept it speed density. A 1988 Gt with t-tops

The fastest I went with the SD car is 13.4@ 105 on street tires. If I had some slicks or drag radials I am sure I would have got into the 12's with better traction.

I kept the stock cam, which I should have swapped over to a E-cam since they work well with SD cars. A buddy of mine put one in his car and it ran perfectly.

I had the block done and the crank bead blasted and polished, GT-40P heads, Cobra intake, stock cam, 19 lb, Adj FPR, 190 pump, 65mm TB, CAI, GT-40P headers, flowmaster exhaust, 373 rear, 5spd. Setup as a DD back in the day for me. I am sure with a few tweaks and add-on's it would have been much faster even with the SD.

Good luck with it all and post the results.

I wouldn't. The reason the SD cars are faster was due to more aggressive fuel and timing curves.

All you need to do is put a huge MAF meter on your car and go get a custom dyno tune and you basically can have the same thing..possibly even more HP.

I would have kept my car SD if it would have ran with the new motor. Mild iron heads, E303 cam, GT40 intake, etc.....I think it was only the cam that did it because it lowered the vacuum on mine a good 4in. So it made it run Extremely rich....Black smoke everywhere and it reaked of fuel.

I am seeing the same also with all the imports just using map sensors to tune it.....(some cars do have both though)...My friend has a good modded SRT4 that he laptop tunes also, the main thing I have seen him mess with is MAP: spark, and fuel in relation to the MAP (boost psi). Alot simpler than messing with MAF voltages and air flow multipliers and all that.

so im guessing no one has done a S/D SN95???

Can someone tell me if the ECU is similar (size/pin connections) it would be great if it just plugged in however im sure im not that lucky, id hate to swap over the whole wiring harness, if thats the case id probably just stick with a fox.

I do know alot of guys have done the a9L a9p swap to the 94-95 cars . So with that said you can convert an sd car to mass air by adding a 4 wire harness and swapping some pins why couldnt it be done to 94-95 even if you had to change the harness.

People who think sd cant be modded are misinformed.

Bluegrass on 50tech built a blown SD motor.
SD, 2001 Explorer 5L, 40p heads, 95 Cobra cam, 1.7 Crane rockers, FMS headers, Kenne Bell blower, Crane ignition/boost retard.

Scott on 50tech had a Built 347 500hp range with aftermarket everthing and a custom cam and nitrous it was SD

I have modded SD myself. Its easy to do if you know what not to do. SD built cars prove that bigger is not always better.

I have a question i have had many hondas and talons and all were speed density. I used to put a s-afc(super air flow computer) by apexi on them to tune the fuel on them you can add or remove fuel by rpm incriments. I know there was a setting for 4,6 or 8 cylinders so i am thinking it can be used on the speed density mustangs. I also have a speed density 87 gt and it by far is the fastest bolt on fox i have owned. If anyone has had any luck with the s-afc please chime in?

I've noticed that a lot have mentioned their SD cars being the fastest bolt-on cars they have owned. Like i said in a previous post, this has a lot to due with aggressive tune.

I have a SD car and it runs like a raped ape, but i have full intention on convertint to MA and going with a custom tune. There are no mechanical differences between SD and MA other than the meter, and if you get a larger meter then it's a moot point.

The main difference is tuning, and plenty of guys have tuned SD with great sucess. I just would never "downgrade" a Mass air car to speed density when you can just custom dyno tune the car for that more aggressive tune and still keep the full adaptability of MA.

Then again i guess it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If it will be a strict bolt-on car that will never see a custom tune then go for it. But if you were to go to SD and then one day slap it on a dyno and give it a custom tune, then you just basically did all that for nothing.

Then again a ton of VERY serious races dump the MA and go DFI to make crazy power

I've noticed that a lot have mentioned their SD cars being the fastest bolt-on cars they have owned. Like i said in a previous post, this has a lot to due with aggressive tune.

I have a SD car and it runs like a raped ape, but i have full intention on convertint to MA and going with a custom tune. There are no mechanical differences between SD and MA other than the meter, and if you get a larger meter then it's a moot point.

The main difference is tuning, and plenty of guys have tuned SD with great sucess. I just would never "downgrade" a Mass air car to speed density when you can just custom dyno tune the car for that more aggressive tune and still keep the full adaptability of MA.

Then again i guess it all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. If it will be a strict bolt-on car that will never see a custom tune then go for it. But if you were to go to SD and then one day slap it on a dyno and give it a custom tune, then you just basically did all that for nothing.

Then again a ton of VERY serious races dump the MA and go DFI to make crazy power

Im sorry but it seems to me you talked yourself in a circle.

Maybe I misunderstood but it seems like your saying Its ok to go maf and do a custom dyno tune. BUT its not ok to go sd and custom tune it on a dyno? What difference does it make if its sd or ma if its chipped and tuned on a dyno its still the same in the end.

Its my opinion that ford went to mass air for smog reasons.

I converted my 87 vert to mass air so Im not arguing one over the other, My argment comes in where people say all you can do is simple bolt ons with sd and its simply not true. KB blower kit for mustangs was originally put together for SD mustangs and its still the same kit today. The new DFI kits are a SD based kit.

I have a question i have had many hondas and talons and all were speed density. I used to put a s-afc(super air flow computer) by apexi on them to tune the fuel on them you can add or remove fuel by rpm incriments. I know there was a setting for 4,6 or 8 cylinders so i am thinking it can be used on the speed density mustangs. I also have a speed density 87 gt and it by far is the fastest bolt on fox i have owned. If anyone has had any luck with the s-afc please chime in?

I was wondering the same thing myself, ive seen people pick up 20-30hp just by tuning with a SAFC on a dyno, for some reason i dont see domestic guys using them and i dont understand why, do they not work with domestic ECU's ??? they should work with S/D and M/A since they have a setting for both.

I'll sell you my 90% stock '88 43k mile LX if you want SD that badly :D

A lot of people claim the difference is minimal if anything. I don't like to brag, but I must say, my SD car ****in screws for what it is. I have taken down a few much heavier modded mass air and even carbed cars. It's waaayy faster than any stock or bolt on maf fox I've ever driven or been in. I'm not really looking forward to the conversion, but I believe my future mods far exceed the capability of SD. :(