Coolant filter

Ogre

Sep 24, 2003
NC
Does anyone here use the Gano coolant filter or any other coolant filter. I just bought an aluminum radiator and thinking about installing some type of filter to keep the new radiator from getting clogged up. How does the Gano filter install? Any problems with leaks? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Used one about 15 years ago. It caused the coolant to aireate and the tempreture to increase from 180 to 205-215. After I removed it I could idle the car for an hour and it would stay at 180, and that is using a S/W mechanical guage.

My advise is to not waste your time or money.

I don't think it will be a waste of money. $40.00 to keep a new $180.00 aluminum radiator from getting all clogged up.

The problem is the old engine I have. No matter how many times I flush it out, I still get chunks of rust and crud out. I guess if the engine was brand new or rebuilt, I wouldn't have that problem.

I got the same problem, you will have to clean it out from time to time because eventually it will get clogged, but alteast that stuff is not going into the radiator and then back into the engine.

my 351 was pretty crusty before i installed the northern rad... i left a dose of fast flush in the block overnight, next morning flushed the block from the lower hose to the top (sealed the garden hose with a rag stuffed around it)i ran water through the block for about an hour, then installed the new radiator. crust problem sloved...

I always run the coolant filter. The scaling from the engine will over time clog your radiator and make it useless. You might be able to get away with it if you have one of those new 5.0 blocks. but the old blocks definatly need it. instalation is a snap. I like to install it right off the thermostat housing. but I have a unique aplication
View attachment 339247

I don't think it will be a waste of money. $40.00 to keep a new $180.00 aluminum radiator from getting all clogged up.

The problem is the old engine I have. No matter how many times I flush it out, I still get chunks of rust and crud out. I guess if the engine was brand new or rebuilt, I wouldn't have that problem.

If you knew in advance what you were going to do and then attempt to shoot-down a post that is based in first hand experience, why post the question in the first place?

If you knew in advance what you were going to do and then attempt to shoot-down a post that is based in first hand experience, why post the question in the first place?

I didn't shoot down your reply. I considered your advice, but gave my reply with a little more detail that you may have not previously known. Thanks for your reply, as I value the opinion of all. That is why I posted this topic to begin with, to find out the pro's and con's of adding a coolant filter. Thanks again for your reply, but please don't take anything posted on this site personal.