Coolant Flush And T-stat Change

• Sponsors (?)

I'm thinking autozone will accept old coolant if you drain it into an oil pan or something. Last flush I did on another car, I took it to my favorite oil change place, and when they were changing my oil, acted all stupid and asked if they knew where I could safely dispose of coolant, they happily did it for me.

Good luck, the coolant flush is on my to-do list for a spring maintenance on this beast. Just got my fuel filter swapped.

jasonh_86 said:
So it more or less "Bleeds" itself if you leave the cap off, hold the revs at 1500 and have the heat on full blast?.. And it's done "bleeding" when the heat is blowing strongly at idle?

So, just follow that article.. and then do the heat/1500rpm thing w/the cap off when i'm done?.. Are there any extra hoses to take off?.. and can somebody give me a write-up or something for putting the new t-stat on?

well more or less yeah it bleeds itself. just make sure you do it unless you like doing headgaskets.

Kilgore Trout said:
I would def recommend using the Water Wetter:nice:
Thanks Killy! I'll try to pick up a bottle of that stuff before I get started on it:D

svttech76 said:
well more or less yeah it bleeds itself. just make sure you do it unless you like doing headgaskets.

:eek: :eek: I'll DEFINATELY remember it now!!.. not like I was gonna forget, but that's quite a big reminder!!

well guys.. I picked up a bottle of Water Wetter and a new t-stat... Now it's time to get to the task at hand :eek:

2 Gallons of Prestone (I know, i'm not using it all)
4 Gallons of Distilled H2O (Again, i'm not using it all)
1 Bottle of Water Wetter
1 180* Thermostat

I'm ready :D

Well guys... I did my coolant flush and added the Water Wetter at the end of it :D

Thank you svttech76, Killy, hotmustang331, topless98gt and everyone else for the info and advice, I really appreciate it! :Teh-Win: :D :nice:

I did the coolant system bleeding just like you told me to svttech, it worked like a charm!

I added the Water Wetter at the very end, and re-checked it with the Prestone tool thingy that checks freezing/boiling points and it was right on the money!

Now I just gotta add the T-stat and i'll be DONE! :D

By the way, it took me nearly 2 hours and 45 minutes, simply because I had a couple issues to deal with while getting it done and making sure the water was completely clear before I added the distilled H2O. I just wanted to make sure everything was going according to plan and not skimp on anything. I know that sounds like a long time, it was a bit of a pain but it was well worth it imo. :)

No credit for PM advice. :(

Anyway, I always burp every system I flush with the front end half way up ramps or jacked up slightly, to assist air in coming to the front, and also away from the heater core. Just my 2 cents.

Got the 180* T-stat on. It went pretty good once I got the bolts for the T-stat housing loose. I had to get my dad to get them loose because I couldn't budge them, i'm such a weakling sometimes :(

Everything nice as hell, the O-ring for the T-stat housing was in AWESOME shape!

Thank You Very Much 4U2NV!! :D

*(Sorry about not putting you up earlier, I was in a bit of a hurry and was about to go put the T-stat in. But your advice was great!)

AND 2 hours later...still getting the air bubles out :shrug: . J/K, hes probably on a test drive :D.

Hmm, I used waterhose water...non distilled. Im just too cheap I guess haha.

And dont worry Jason, I TAKE MY TIME too...it took me about an hour and a half+ to do my flush. I dont get in a rush and like making sure everything is right. Its a good way to be :).

:eek: I didn't know I needed to bleed it again!

But.. before I left the house, I turned my heater on full blast at idle to unfog my windows and warm up the car a bit while I was putting about 5 CD's in the cd player and taking my coat off (and checking the guages):D.. wanted to get nice and toasty and it never once blew anything cold out :shrug:

From the time I bled the system til the time I started my car up after the T-stat install was about 2 hours. It sat in the garage with the hood popped.

jasonh_86 said:
:eek: I didn't know I needed to bleed it again!

But.. before I left the house, I turned my heater on full blast at idle to unfog my windows and warm up the car a bit while I was putting about 5 CD's in the cd player and taking my coat off (and checking the guages):D.. wanted to get nice and toasty and it never once blew anything cold out :shrug:

From the time I bled the system til the time I started my car up after the T-stat install was about 2 hours. It sat in the garage with the hood popped.

you should be fine. just check the coolant level once in awile for a few days.

Will do!.. I checked it one last time after my drive to make sure everything was alright before I let it sit overnight. I figure i'll check it again before I leave the house tomorrow.. and probably 2 or 3 times a day til the end of the week. Gotta play it safe! :)

I just hope I didn't own myself too bad by not re-bleeding it :(

Now my next step of maintanence for my Mustang is going to be changing the Transmission Fluid.. gonna use the Royal Purple that hotmustang331 used :nice:.. and i'd also like to change the fluid in the rearend to Royal Purple as well, but.. that's another day