Engine Coolant Leak From Valve On Upper Cobra Intake

josh89fox

Sep 3, 2012
ok whats going on guys, i have an 89 stang that i just picked up running but with no oil pressure. i pulled the motor out and changed the oil pump and rod bla bla bla..i put the motor back in and she will start but #1 wont idle...#2 on the rear drivers side of the upper intake manifold that is leaking coolant..it looks like it should have a hose connected but i dont know where to hook it up to? i heard is was just a vacuum line but it is pissing out coolant when the car is running..it it possibly that it is a vacuum line but coolant is getting in because i didnt change the gasket?

Attachments

• securedownload-66.jpeg
    securedownload-66.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 372
  • Sponsors (?)

if you have coolent coming out of the intake at that fitting you have HUGE issues.

if im looking at this right that fitting should go to the lower intake manifold and hook to the PCV valve.

i had a feeling...before i pulled the motor it was running and idling perfect, just no oil pressure...now im under the impression i should pull the upper intake and change the gasket??

i would...

id also drain the oil and coolant if there is any milkyness to the oil id find another short block or have that one rebuilt.

ok i took the upper intake off and it leaked out coolant all over...the motor ran fine before i pulled it so i should have no reason to replace it..ill check the oil when the rain stops as well as put the upper intake back on.is there any diagrams that are half way easy to read on here, about the vacuum lines..and mayb the heater core lines? i know im just missing somthing stupid here..can i just cap everything off to test it out?

I've heard of people accidentally hooking a coolant bypass line for the EGR up to the vacuum port intended for the charcoal canister. That would be a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
ok i took the upper intake off and it leaked out coolant all over...the motor ran fine before i pulled it so i should have no reason to replace it..ill check the oil when the rain stops as well as put the upper intake back on.is there any diagrams that are half way easy to read on here, about the vacuum lines..and mayb the heater core lines? i know im just missing somthing stupid here..can i just cap everything off to test it out?
other then the fact you just pumped coolent thought the motor and more then likely screwed up a bearing or 3

ok so i guess it is possible that the head gaskets are done..its smoking and spitting coolant out of the exhaust..i was just trying to narrow everything down since the head gaskets were fine when i pulled the motor..but if thats the only way that could happen then i guess i blew the gaskets some how..

Do you have a mechanically inclined friend? I wouldn't touch another thing. Each time you "fix" something another problem crops up. If all you did originally was change the oil pump then there should be nothing wrong with this engine. Seek help.

ok so i guess it is possible that the head gaskets are done..its smoking and spitting coolant out of the exhaust..i was just trying to narrow everything down since the head gaskets were fine when i pulled the motor..but if thats the only way that could happen then i guess i blew the gaskets some how..

not saying your getting coolant in though a head gasket... but your getting it into the intake somehow if its leaking out.

anything in the intake track goes into the combustion chamber and anything in the intake has a chance to get into the PCV system which would dump it right into the lifter valley

Do you have a mechanically inclined friend? I wouldn't touch another thing. Each time you "fix" something another problem crops up. If all you did originally was change the oil pump then there should be nothing wrong with this engine. Seek help.

i am mechanically inclined thank you...just my first mustang...and i signed up to this forum seeking help, but obviously you guys are just as mechanically inclined as i am...will post a pic within the hour 92..

and i know coolant is getting in somehow...thats why im hear trying to get answers...guess i should just join another forum

on the intake behind the throttle body is a port in and a port out there should be coolant that goes though this part of the intake only! this is to keep the throttle blades from freezing up. my guess is IF EVERYTHING else is hooked up rightyou have that capped off and the coolant going into the thottle body at the breather port. or you have an issue with the intake leaking from that area.

srtthis, im not positive that everything is hooked up right..in fact im under the impression its not..

Attachments

• securedownload-67.jpeg
    securedownload-67.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 294
  • securedownload-68.jpeg
    securedownload-68.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 316
  • securedownload-69.jpeg
    securedownload-69.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 275