Engine Coolant Leak Somewhere In The System

Tjj

Jun 7, 2016
Read the text at the bottom first

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I was told by my father that the engine of the 1986 mustang used to over heat a lot. He suspected that it was the heater core leaking and causing the car to lose coolant. So I managed to remove the heater core and there was no leak. I then looked to find any leaks on the water pump and the thermostat housing, I saw yellow residue on them and a damp area next to the water pump (which are the pictures). Could that be old 20 year old dried up coolant?

The car doesn't run yet by the way

• Sponsors (?)

Yes it could be. ( Long answer )...These motors are known for front timing cover and water pump gasket leaks.

I warn you ahead of time that when ( and if ) you decide to do the water pump, the studs or bolts are likely to break.

My advice to you is to order water pump bolts before attempting repair ( brand new bolts are better than old ones, anyway ). While you're at it... might as well throw a new timing chain and a cam in it, too. But that calls for intake and valve cover gaskets as well.

Short answer.....yes, that could be 20 year old antifreeze dried up....or rat pee. Lol

Could you have posted any worse pictures? lol

The first thing you should do is go to Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts and rent t coolant leak tester. Pressuize your system to 16lbs. The pressure should hold there for at least 30 minutes. look for leaking coolant.

IF it is you water pump and/or timing cover those are the two most common places. As stated, those bolts are known to break off eaily. I would spray all the bolts with PB blaster and let it soak in for at least a day. Coat the new bolt threads with anti sieze.

Reactions: 1 user