Coolant Temp. Switch / Fan Relay

CuddaWuddaShuda

Founding Member
Mar 5, 2002
I am having trouble with the electric fan system on my '85 Mustang 2.3L. It does not seem like the coolant temperature controlled switch is working correctly, even though it is brand new. This is the switch that threads into a hosepipe running along the right (passenger) side of the camshaft cover. It is basically cylindrical in shape, and gold in color.

As I understand it, this switch grounds the single wire attached to it once temperature exceeds a certain point. The problem is that it always seems to ground its wire. I can put the negative lead of a voltmeter on the terminal atop the sending unit, put the positive terminal on the battery, and I see 12 volts. This happens regardless of coolant temperature.

What's going on here? This is actually the second new temp switch I have tried (they are cheap). Is there a special installation procedure I am missing? Am I misunderstanding how this thing is supposed to operate?

Also, I guess I could pick up a cheapo flex-fan at the parts store. The bolts seem to be there to hold a fan on (on the idler pulley.) But it looks like the fan would interfere with the main radiator hose. Any ideas?? Is there another hose I could get? Or did Ford relocate the coolant neck on the block when they went to an electric fan?

• Sponsors (?)