cooler brakes the cheap way

blackstangt

May 31, 2004
ny
thus far, it is only in development, but the idea is pretty simple. I have the fog loghts, brackets and brace removed from my 90 gt (should work on an lx too). The idea is to use that fog light hole and the air going through and under it for brake cooling. The idea is to just cut the wheel well in the front or run some sort of ducting or louvers to make it work better or have less dirt flying around. Nicely enough, with the car moving forward, the tires are spinning clockwise, so if you cut at the lowest point (car held up by frame) of the top of the tires, no dirt can go up into a cold air setup or the apron, causing rust. I may try this with some beat up wheel wells i have lying around to test for negative effects. technical opinions welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

However you have to watch out for water then. Brother in law had his prelude for about 3 weeks and I was driving it and hit a good sized water puddle. PO had cut a hole like you are talking about and had a CAI on it. The wheel pushed a wave of water into the wheel well. Well it sucked water straight into the engine, broke a connecting rod, bent the crank, and put the broken connecting rod through the block.

http://www.need-4-speed.com/nfs.htm

Scroll down to their Brake Cooling Kit. Directing air directly to the center of the rotor is the most effective method. They also have fog light adapter brackets. This kit is kind of spendy.

I'm planning to get their backing plate kit and then fab the rest. This should compliment the Cobra brakes I just installed. I'm going to hold off on this kit until after my first open track day.

well this is great, while i had no knowlege of it, I thought of something people charge for. A couple of my "friends" gave me **** about this idea, I'm glad it works and people do it.