Cooling issues....help

IcantDo55

Apr 2, 2004
Va Beach
89 Hatch with stock untouched 5.0 and 5spd 110K owned it since 29K
Only mods are 3:27's, Ford racing radiator, 180* t-stat, exhaust.

In the last two years this has been retired to a 5K mile a year car not the DD it used to be and its cooling system has been acting strange. Its temps seem to swing around alot sometimes it gets hot but never overheats. I always uses up coolant. I have to add water often. Its not leaking and I have not seen it smoking out of the tailpipe until recently.

I have has some time lately and decided to fix this issue. Got a cooling system pressure tester and pumped it up, found a small leak where the timing cover meets the block.....so I replaced timing chain, water pump, all gaskets and fan clutch. Same problem still using water and now it stared to show some white smoke from tailpipes.

So what do you think?

Today I decided it had to be head gaskets, maybe it just gave up the ghost after 20 years. Pulled it all apart today and passenger side looks normal. Got to driver side and the #6 and #8 cyc has obliviously been possessing water (6 was way worse than8), but from where the HG's look fine???:confused: I back tracked and looked into the lower intake carefully and see that the runners for #6 and #8 are wet with water. Where the coolant come from? I backtracked more and in the upper intake it had the same coolant on 6 an 8. Got it!

So the only place it could be coming from was the EGR spacer. Now here is the real question, if the gasket in the EGR went bad why was the coolant only burning in Cyc 6 and 8?? Is that just the normal air path?

So I guess I pulled the heads for nothing!:curses:

Ideas....?

• Sponsors (?)