Cooling problem???

Now that the weather is getting hot, my car wants to get hot as well? I dont have an actual temp guage, so i'm not sure what the temp actually is. I have a 180* therm, and I have my computer set to turn on the high speed fan at 190* I also have a fluidyne radiator, new water pump, new hoses, basically everything is new. I run 50/50 + water wetter and my car seldom saw the O in normal, now it's going up to the M and A??? My fan seems to be working, but i'm not sure if the high speed fan is comming on. :shrug: If I turn the A/C on the car heats up quicker but will not go past the A no matter what I do.

I have burped the system, and my therm, seems to be working correctly, so i'm not sure where to look next, I guess i'll test the high speed fan, anyone have an easy way to do this without a code reader?

I'm not going to be driving this car for a few days so I would like to get this fixed while i'm doing all the other stuff to it.

• Sponsors (?)

If it was 10 - 20* higher than I probably wouldnt worry, however when i'm looking at it being around 220 - 230* when it normally runs around 180 - 200 max, this is cause for concern. Last summer my car never got hot, even in palm springs and the high desert, and this was with the aluminum heads on. I expect a little higher temps but not that much higher.

its because it's hot outside. those aluminum heads dont help. i wouldnt stress it. if anything, change you coolant ratio

How do you want to test the high speed fan? IIRC, the high speed terminal is the bottom-most terminal on the connector (as viewed looking down from the hood).

To manually turn on the high speed fan, ground Pin 17 on the CCRM.

I have to ask: with a 180*stat, and your HS fan set to come on at 190, what is the setting for HS to turn off? If it's near 180*F, your fan might not ever turn off. You might want to bump the settings up (on at 195, off at 187, for example). I'd go higher if you run a parts store stat (they suffer from hysteresis).

One more thing: if the computer is getting confused and ends up with low and high speed both on at once (because the car keeps heating up and reaches ~208*F, where low normally comes on), the fan won't work worth a poop. If both speeds are energized, the fan runs a little faste than low speed and the motor's life is shortened.

Back on target: Does the car seem to run cooler while either at 50+ mph, or while idling? A clue like that can be quite helpful.

Good luck.

What's happenin hiss, I called my tuner to ask exactly what my fan settings are, it comes on at 197 and goes off at 185. It seems to cool down when at idle, and heats up right around 50 - 70 mph, but not to the point I think it's going to overheat, now if I hit 75 - 80 mph thats where it seems to want to get too hot.. When I first put it back together (about 6 months ago) I could drive it as fast as I wanted and it never got even remotly close to hot, this was im high heat conditions too (arizona trip and vegas trip) Both times the outside temp was 90*+
and I have yet to see that here where I live, (hottest day this year was just below 90). This is the same tune I have run for some time now, the only differences being Maf, different cam, and intake. So the fan settings have not been modified.

Thanks again for the help.

How do you want to test the high speed fan? IIRC, the high speed terminal is the bottom-most terminal on the connector (as viewed looking down from the hood).

To manually turn on the high speed fan, ground Pin 17 on the CCRM.

I have to ask: with a 180*stat, and your HS fan set to come on at 190, what is the setting for HS to turn off? If it's near 180*F, your fan might not ever turn off. You might want to bump the settings up (on at 195, off at 187, for example). I'd go higher if you run a parts store stat (they suffer from hysteresis).

One more thing: if the computer is getting confused and ends up with low and high speed both on at once (because the car keeps heating up and reaches ~208*F, where low normally comes on), the fan won't work worth a poop. If both speeds are energized, the fan runs a little faste than low speed and the motor's life is shortened.

Back on target: Does the car seem to run cooler while either at 50+ mph, or while idling? A clue like that can be quite helpful.

Good luck.

Tony, If this is only happening at 50-70 mph, it's not a fan issue. Do you have the little air dam under the car? Freeway temps and relatively hot conditions are where I'd noticed the lack of it on my car.

Also, can you tell if the cooling system is holding pressure? This can make a bit of a difference, especially in the dynamic of sustained RPM's (But it's not something I'd spend a lot of time trying to figure out. If you have a cooling system pressure tester, hook it up and see what gives. If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much).

Do you recall if there is a spring in the lower radiator hose (more important to know if you have gears and churn higher RPM's on the highway)?

Otherwise, you have a nice set-up and unless there is a failure in one of the newer parts, I'm not sure what it could be.
Good luck.

I'm not sure what the little air dam thing is, where it is, or what it looks like so I cant answere that? As for holding pressure, yes its holding pressure, I have a pressure/vaccuume tester that fits on the radiator filler cap, it holds steady even up to 20lbs. I dont believe there is a spring in the lower hose? I bought the goodyear high miler hoses, so i'm not too sure if it did. My gears are changed but that was years ago, it sits at about 2300 rpm at 75. I'm actually thinking it may be the air dam, I dont recall ever seeing anything under the car? Can you tell me what it looks like? Maybe a pic? And more important where to get one?