Engine Cooling Questions...

Alright, I have an assortment of questions about my cooling system.

First off, I went for about a two hour cruise with some friends. Yes, I was getting on her pretty well.

Once back to school, and in the parking lot (I'm in college), I shut the car off and heard some gargling, popped my hood and coolant was spewing out of the overflow of the coolant reservoir.

One thing worth mentioning is that my temp gauge doesn't work...at all, doesn't even wobble. So I had no idea how hot my car was getting on the cruise and since I haven't had any cooling issues since I have had the car, I hadn't gotten it fixed yet, and assumed no issues....which my own fault, so no need for telling me how dumb I am, I know......

I want to fix the gauge, replace the thermostat, and water pump....since the pump and stat will only cost me less than $100, my thoughts are why not do both.

So here are my questions:
1.) What is operating temp of an '88 LX/Fox body?
2.) What degree thermostat should I get? I haven't been able to find what the op temp it, or what the stock thermostat is.
3.) Where do I start with the gauge? I know nothing about how it works, so any info is useful
4.) I plan on buying a Ford Racing water pump that is a direct replacement for the stock with a higher flow volume. Is this a good idea? It is a stock car, so I don't see a need for getting a ridiculous water pump...

Those are my general questions. Any answers, info, or suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Make sure the wiring for the sensor is plugged in. On your lower plenum there will be your heater hose tubes. They run along the passenger side of the intake and go up to the heater core. In one of these tubes will be your ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. Check to see that it's connected. It'll have a small push on style connector.

EDIT: actually according to a post by Jrich, the ECT doesn't have anything to do with the temp guage so scratch that.

I just had a similar situation. I would think the water pump is fine but you can always unhook the top hose and see if it pushes coolant out. If it isn't broke don't fix it. My car was getting hot due to the top hose having air in it so I had to lift the left of the car so the radiator cap was higher. But I had an empty system and had to fill it so if your car was fine before and just overheated my guess is thermostat wasn't opening or not fast enough. I quick way to check that is pull it and put it in a pot of water on the stove. Measure the temp and make sure it opens at the desired temp. They are cheap but this is a way to eliminate it from the equation.

Gauge-Check the electrical connector on the motor for continuity. Unhook the plug connect it to a multimeter to the plug that is mounted to the intake and turn the car on. You should see a slow raise on your multimeter as it gets hotter. Also if your not getting a good ground from your motor to the firewall your gauges wont read correctly.

I am doing a full "cooling" upgrade on my 91' Mustang right now as well. From all the tons of research I have done you want to run a 180 thermostat to be able to stay in that 180-200 degree range, with a standard flow water pump. If its a fairly stock daily driver you dont need a high flow water pump. These are the parts I recently ordered from Summit.

Ford Racing Standard Flow Counter-Clockwise Water Pump - $45 (with Fel Pro Gaskets)
Super Stant 180 High Flow Thermostat - $6 (with Fel Pro Gasket)
Griffin Dual Core Aluminum Radiator - $185 (best radiator I could find for the money)

Make sure the wiring for the sensor is plugged in. On your lower plenum there will be your heater hose tubes. They run along the passenger side of the intake and go up to the heater core. In one of these tubes will be your ECT (Engine Coolant Temp) sensor. Check to see that it's connected. It'll have a small push on style connector.

EDIT: actually according to a post by Jrich, the ECT doesn't have anything to do with the temp guage so scratch that.
nope... The ect sensor is for the computer.. There is another sensor on the front of the intake on the drivers side for the gauge.

nope... The ect sensor is for the computer.. There is another sensor on the front of the intake on the drivers side for the gauge.

Well when I got this car, it didn't have the stock intake, it has a short ram, which I hate. It was ghetto rigged on, and haven't spent the money for a nice cold air yet, so I have no idea where the sensor for the gauge would even be, or even if it is still there.

Well when I got this car, it didn't have the stock intake, it has a short ram, which I hate. It was ghetto rigged on, and haven't spent the money for a nice cold air yet, so I have no idea where the sensor for the gauge would even be, or even if it is still there.
the intake manifold.. Not the intake tube..it is on top of the motor. There are 2 parts to it. Upper plenum and lower intake. If you are looking at the front of the motor it is on the right side of the lower intake. There is 1 wire attached to it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346699363.577891.jpg

Look at my pic there is a threaded hole exactly where I explained. That's where your sensor is.

Ah I understand. When I read intake, I assume the intake tube, not the manifolds. My mistake.

Side Question- I see you only have two bolts in the 5.0 HO badge plate on the upper plenum...I bought a plate off a friend for cheap, but I don't have the bolts.

Do you know what size and thread the hardware is for them?

Ah I understand. When I read intake, I assume the intake tube, not the manifolds. My mistake.

Side Question- I see you only have two bolts in the 5.0 HO badge plate on the upper plenum...I bought a plate off a friend for cheap, but I don't have the bolts.

Do you know what size and thread the hardware is for them?
no problem, just wanted to clarify so you knew where the sensor was. off hand I am not sure what size they are. It only has 2 screws because it is an explorer intake with a mustang plate on it. The explorer one only has 2 threaded holes.