couple 2.3 questions

Got some questions about the 4 cyl mustangs, first off what kind of gas milage do they get with a 5spd. Reason im asking is I have an 89 5.0 but im going to be commuting out to college a few days a week this fall, plus I dont want to drive the 5.0 this winter if I dont have to.

A local car place has an 93 lx 5spd with 80k miles (so they say, gotta look into it) body is sraight, has a scratch on the passanger side fender, normal underbody rust for a nj car, interior is decent, (no radio, ash tray door broken etc). Their asking $1,950. I could probably get them lower, does this seem like a good deal. Any problems with the 2.3 I should know about/look for? Thanks :flag:

Forgot to add, its a green hatch, paint is in pretty good shape aside from the scratch.

• Sponsors (?)

no the 2.3 is a solid little motor. i wouldn't buy it for more then 1200-1500 bucks if it was me. only thing you might want to do is on the front of the timming cover is a black rubber grommet that will allow you to check for slack in the timmig belt. always a good idea to check that out prior to buying it. there not hard to change but easier then getting screwed..

I should add that my old '90 still got around 25 mpg with a cracked head and 150K on the clock. It also never got hot unless I was stuck in traffic, even though the radiator was usually only around half full of coolant.

Also, I drove mine in the winter for 3 years and never had a problem...I got through some places that I was sure I was gonna get stuck. Good snow tires and some weight in the back help out a lot.

Red_LX said:
Also, I drove mine in the winter for 3 years and never had a problem...I got through some places that I was sure I was gonna get stuck. Good snow tires and some weight in the back help out a lot.
I've gotten through a lot I thought I wouldn't with my new Blizzaks and @2 50lb. bags of sand in the back. Still, if I can afford a 4x4 I'll shell out the cash for it.