couple codes, no CE light

93GTosu

May 5, 2005
just pulled these codes:

I know 33 is my EGR. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't hurting anything right?

87 and 96 are new ones.

87:
(O) Fuel pump circuit fault (check inertia switch) - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

96:
(O) Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits
(M) (Service 87 code first if present) Fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits

my electric fan kicked on when I started the test. I have the U/D jumper on my DCcontroller so the fan goes to 10% when the key is on. Is that what these codes are for? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Have you tried to drive the car without the fuel pump relay in place? The FPM noted you did not have power when you should have.

The Delta Controller should have nothing to do with the codes. The EEC has no idea it's there.

The EGR code can indeed be important, depending upon what state of factory tune the car is in.

Have you tried to drive the car without the fuel pump relay in place? The FPM noted you did not have power when you should have.

The Delta Controller should have nothing to do with the codes. The EEC has no idea it's there.

I havent driven the car without the relay. I don't even know where it is to tell you the truth....is it under the seat? What would it mean if I COULD drive it without the relay? :shrug:

what should I do to fix/check this?

I was reading the code as "there is a power draw--when there shouldnt be."

But does it actually mean "there ISNT power when there should be??"

The EGR code can indeed be important, depending upon what state of factory tune the car is in.

the EGR has been throwing a code since I got the car. There's no vacuum line running to it and it has this weird white moss/fugus growing on the outside of it. :ack:

where should I look for the line? i couldnt find one anywhere last time i went digging...

when my EGR went, it started causing problems like surging idle, & car would die sometimes when i'd come to a stop. i noticed better fuel economy after replacing it also.

I've got an idle of ~900rpms. Occasionally it'll stick up around 1K or 1100.

Car just recently started to stall when I put it in neutral during a stop. (that'll make you crap ur pantz at 50mph!:eek: only happened once though) Last time was about 3 weeks ago though.

fuel economy isnt so hot cause I can't keep my foot off the pedal. I like the noise :D

I'm trying to get motivated this weekend to start my "to-do" list for the stang.

Thanks for the responses guys! :nice:

don't know if these will help, but here's a couple pics of the vac line that runs to the EGR. it is possible someone removed them completely....

2591090_52_full.jpg

2591090_98_full.jpg

2nd pic: Is the EGR running to a plug that has 4 holes in it? cause I have that just dangling around.

if so, which color does it plug into? or does that not matter? IIRC mine has green, red and maybe white or black?

And where can I get lines for this? is it something the parts store would carry?

thanks for the pics btw! I like that C&L pipe

hmm... i'll see what other pics i can find for you... but iirc, all the outlets are the same color (black) and same size, and i think there are 5 outlets on that vac line... but i'm sure i have a pic of it somewhere, just not on teh interwebs yet. but i'll check for you. hang on a couple mins and i'm sure i can get it for you.. until then, here's one more with it in it..

2591090_133_full.jpg

here ya go! found an old pic and got it on ze interwebs for ya!

2591090_137_full.jpg

the screws are in there (with silicone on the threads) just to plug the lines for deleted stuff, don't even remember what they used to go to. guessing the thermactor stuff though. but i don't think it matters what outlet, but i'd just check to see if they're all the same size, cuz i think that plug is just like a splitter, but i can't remember. and yeah parts stores should carry all kinds of vac lines. but just know that a bad (or inoperative) EGR can cause some problems

I havent driven the car without the relay. I don't even know where it is to tell you the truth....is it under the seat? What would it mean if I COULD drive it without the relay? :shrug:

You're right, you can't.
I had just wondered if you had removed it and then tried to start the car. This could generate the code.

I was reading the code as "there is a power draw--when there shouldnt be."

But does it actually mean "there ISNT power when there should be??"

The latter is true. It means the pump didnt receive power at some point when it should have. This could have been a 1/10th of a second burp or something much longer. There's not a whole lot to do to track it down that isn't a pain in the butt.

the EGR has been throwing a code since I got the car. There's no vacuum line running to it and it has this weird white moss/fugus growing on the outside of it. :ack:

where should I look for the line? i couldnt find one anywhere last time i went digging...

BB is taking care of you. The vac line for the EGR comes from the EGR solenoid. You have to be sure you get the right one because otherwise the car will randomly run like crap (if you used an A.I.R. solenoid by mistake, etc). The solenoids are like control switches for the component, and each component uses a dedicated solneoid for its intended purpose.

so what should I do about the 87 and 96 codes?

If the pump isnt getting power for 1/10th of a second (or longer) that's BAD i assume.

So what's the plan of action for these codes? I should obviously try and get rid of them right? So if it isnt getting power is it a:

-relay problem?
-pump problem?
-wiring problem?

It's raining right now :( I can't exactly DO anything at the moment.

I think everything might be there for the EGR minus the line (white one in the pic).

Chances are that it's a bad wiring connection. The relay and socket are places to start. Since it apparently is so intermittant, it's probably going to be tough to find. I'd wiggle test likely spots (like have the car idling and wiggle the relay wiring harness. Do this any place you suspect weak wiring.