Couple Gremlins: fuel leak & fan direction

Ok guys, I have a couple of very frustrating problems at the moment.

1. Fuel leak: I have a fuel leak at the fuel filter on the inlet side. The fuel looks to be leaking right out of where the filter plugs into the fuel line. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and I bought a pack of universal o-rings to try to fix the problem. I used the same size o-ring on each side of the filter. The out side does not leak at all, but the in side leaks pretty bad. It leaks bad enough that the car totally loses any fuel prime if it sits for a while. If I get it cranked and run it a while, then cut it off and leave it for a little while, when I come back it will act like it's out of gas an struggle and struggle to start.
How do I get rid of this leak? I tried various sizes and combinations of o-rings for probably an hour and a half yesterday until it finally seemed to have stopped leaking, and then today I noticed it is back to leaking again....

Any suggestions?

2. I wired my electric fan up to a switch today, but I'm not sure which direction the fan needs to be blowing in. Should it be blowing toward the engine or toward the radiator?

That's it for now. Thanks for any help!!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok guys, I have a couple of very frustrating problems at the moment.

1. Fuel leak: I have a fuel leak at the fuel filter on the inlet side. The fuel looks to be leaking right out of where the filter plugs into the fuel line. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and I bought a pack of universal o-rings to try to fix the problem. I used the same size o-ring on each side of the filter. The out side does not leak at all, but the in side leaks pretty bad. It leaks bad enough that the car totally loses any fuel prime if it sits for a while. If I get it cranked and run it a while, then cut it off and leave it for a little while, when I come back it will act like it's out of gas an struggle and struggle to start.
How do I get rid of this leak? I tried various sizes and combinations of o-rings for probably an hour and a half yesterday until it finally seemed to have stopped leaking, and then today I noticed it is back to leaking again....

Any suggestions?

2. I wired my electric fan up to a switch today, but I'm not sure which direction the fan needs to be blowing in. Should it be blowing toward the engine or toward the radiator?

That's it for now. Thanks for any help!!

Is the fuel filter in the correct flow position? Did you replace the clips?

The fan draws air through the radiator towards the engine.

Yes, the filter is in the correct direction and I did install new clips.

Ok, this is how I had the fan wired, and when I turned it on the guage actually jumped up a little hotter (!) and the engine did not start cooling down. It actually seemed to cool better without the fan on!

Any ideas? I'm totally confused by both of these problems.

Why not do simple fan switches using the existing circuits? If interested, see here.

Otherwise, when the fan is on low speed, the middle fan-motor terminal shows 12 volts. When the fan is on high speed, the bottom terminal (IIRC) shows 12 volts.

The top terminal is the ground. If you supply the ground terminal with 12 volts and ground one of the other two terminals, the fan spins the wrong way.

For the fuel leak, I would not play games with o-rings. Fuel will eventually cause them to deteriorate anyhow. You dont want a surprise leak. I would compare the new filter to the old one (put a Vernier caliper on the inlet and outlet nipples to be sure the filter is correct). Then replace the lines if necessary.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help.

The fan circuit no longer functions properly, so I took this as a good opportunity to put in manual switches. Any idea why turning the fan on doesn't seem to help any, even when it is turned on drawing air in the correct position?

The old fuel filter is the same size and also leaked, which is why I replaced it (along with just needing a tune-up). My fuel lines are the stock v6 model lines, but it appears this shouldn't make any difference as they use the same fuel filter.

Do you think I will need to replace the lines to fix this leak? It is so strange, the fuel is leaking in such a way that it looks like it is just going around th o-ring and leaking out of the holes where the clip is inserted, and I am no sure how a new line would be any different, as the line doesn't seem to be messed up in any way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

The fan circuit no longer functions properly, so I took this as a good opportunity to put in manual switches. Any idea why turning the fan on doesn't seem to help any, even when it is turned on drawing air in the correct position?

The old fuel filter is the same size and also leaked, which is why I replaced it (along with just needing a tune-up). My fuel lines are the stock v6 model lines, but it appears this shouldn't make any difference as they use the same fuel filter.

Do you think I will need to replace the lines to fix this leak? It is so strange, the fuel is leaking in such a way that it looks like it is just going around th o-ring and leaking out of the holes where the clip is inserted, and I am no sure how a new line would be any different, as the line doesn't seem to be messed up in any way.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Just how did you remove and install the clip. Also did you clean the fitting before disassembly. Just want to confirm that you didn't use anything other than your hands and fingers to remove and reinstall the clip. It does not take much clamping force to destroy the connector.