Couple of final questions

69Rcode_Mach1

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, Utah
Well I am getting ready to drop the engine and tranny in again and I want to make sure I don't overlook any details. I need to mount the flywheel, then the clutch and pressure plate. My final questions are when mounting the flywheel, I know you torque in a star pattern, do I put threadlocker on the bolts or threadsealer? Or is there not a difference between the two. Also I am going to mount the clutch as well with threadlocker, and torque that in a star pattern as well. If anyone also has the torque specs on the flywheel and clutch bolts that would help, I can't really recall. And finally, the pilot bearing had grease in it before, there is still some grease in it, but it is a thin thin film, will that be okay or should I get more? If so what kind of grease? I know it is a lot of questions but I want to make sure I don't have to pull this freaking thing again.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's what I do: I use thread sealer on flywheel bolts. In engines it's mostly used on head bolts that protrude into water jackets, so that may be how it's labeled. You don't need to use thread locker on your pressure plate bolts, instead I use loc-washers, and be careful not to over-tighten them. Your pilot bearing is likely bronze, which has self-lubricating qualities and needs no grease. Any grease you do put on it will likely get flung onto the clutch disc. I know some people do put a dab of grease on the pilot bearing, but it's totally unnecessary, I work in a machine shop where we use bronze bushings in areas that have a whole lot more load than any pilot bearing and they live for years. Hope this helps,
Jim

Thank you, I actually talked with Ronstang last night and figured it all out. We put a thin thin fiml of grease on the pilot bearing, we used thread sealer on the flywheel bolts, and a touch of blue threadlock on the pressure plate bolts. We finally dropped the engine and tranny assembly back in. Only to realize that we lost the old motor mount bolts. So my final question is what size are the motor mount bolts supposed to be? I was hoping to go to Home Depot and get two grade 8 bolts for it. We ended up jamming screwdrivers in the mounts to hold it down for now.